Alfred Won't Stay Quit, Keeps Relaunching—Intentional?

Have both Alfred 4 and Alfred 5 on my machine. Now want to move to 5 exclusively.

In the process of trying to get rid of 4, my computer is telling me that I can't, because Alfred is still running.

"No problem," I think, I know how to deal with this, and try:

• Going into Activity Monitor and quit Alfred from there...it relaunches itself within seconds.
  • Quitting Alfred from within its own preferences...it relaunches itself within seconds.
  • Go into the preferences within both 4 and 5, make sure that both have "Launch Alfred at Login" unchecked, just in case, then quit...it relaunches itself within seconds.

I've been using Alfred for years, and it occurred to me that I can't recall ever noticing this "auto-launch"—outside of the "at login" preference, to be clear—before...mostly because I normally always want it running.

1. So, is it intentional for Alfred to bring itself back after expressly telling it to quit?
  2. Regardless of the answer to #1...how can I quit Alfred and make it STAY quit? (I want to know for future reference, too, not just for the specific scenario that made me encounter this)

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 hours ago, kevincastillo said:

So, is it intentional for Alfred to bring itself back after expressly telling it to quit?

It is not. Alfred respects your choices.

2 hours ago, kevincastillo said:

Regardless of the answer to #1...how can I quit Alfred and make it STAY quit?

It depends on what’s causing it to reopen. That’s what we have to find out.

Have you installed or updated any Workflow recently? Also, would you mind sharing the names of the files in your ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder? (~ represents your home).

• 6 months later...

I am having this issue too. Alfred relaunches after a couple seconds.

As advised, I've checked ~/Library/LaunchAgents. There, there is a file ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.alfredapp.1password.plist containing the following code

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.alfredapp.1password</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/usr/bin/osascript</string>
        <string>-e</string>
        <string>if application id &quot;com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred&quot; is running then tell application id &quot;com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred&quot; to run trigger &quot;data_update_detected&quot; in workflow &quot;com.alfredapp.1password&quot;</string>
    </array>
    <key>WatchPaths</key>
    <array>
        <string>~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data</string>
    </array>
</dict>
</plist>

If I delete it, it does not stop the issue, and seems to be recreated every time Alfred relaunches automatically.

This is super annoying, so please help!

It seems indeed to be connected to 1password. I'm on the latest version of 1Password 8. If I quit Alfred 5, and go to 1Password and select any item, it launches Alfred. Any idea why this is happening and where this behavior is defined? Not finding anything in 1password settings.

Hello. I have tried:

1. Delete external trigger

2. :1pextras > Force Update Items

This didn't work.

I tried

1. :1pextras > Reset Workflow

2. Delete 1password workflow

This also didn't work, as Alfred is still being relaunched when I do anything in 1password.

To pre-empt the question: I did install 1password cli and give access to 1password to alfred when prompted.

14 minutes ago, egrefen said:

1. Delete external trigger

2. :1pextras > Force Update Items

Point 1 is incorrect, and completely invalidated point 2. Without the External Trigger, the Force Update doesn’t have the hook necessary to disable the checks. The workflow needs to be complete.

Seeing as you deleted the launchd agent, reboot your Mac. That will force it to unload.