Workflow issues after updating to Monterey

I'm a Powerpack user, but I don't know my Powerpack email or how to find it.

Alfred went haywire after the Monterey installation. I can't use any workflows at all, even ones that I thought were built in. Won't do calculations. It still will do searches with the "Find" prefix, and it locates some apps without any prefix.

I tried reinstalling Python, but that didn't work. I can't even tell if it took. I'm not good at this stuff, and I feel like I'm just going to have to give up on Alfred if I have to maintain it using the Terminal, which I'm not very competent with.

Welcome @WilliamP,

You won’t have to use the Terminal regularly, those are one offs to fix changes introduced by Apple.

It’s not possible to give specific advice without specific data, though. Which Workflows specifically are giving you trouble? Open the debugger, set the log output to “All Information”, perform a failing action, and post the output.

I'm afraid that I don't know how to use the debugger properly, but I can't even get that far. If I try to run a workflow like "Calculate Anything," I immediately get a message that says, "Unable to run task! 

Reason: launch path not accessible

/usr/bin/php

Check that the selected language exists on your system.

If you're syncing Alfred's preferences, also check that all related workflow files exist locally."

So I don't know where this leaves me.

That helps! Few Workflows use PHP these days, and that one can be fixed by running brew install php in the terminal once. This is assuming you have Homebrew installed, which you will already have if you tried to reinstall python from the official instructions.

Are you on an Intel of Apple Silicon Mac? If you’re on the latter and the above command fails with command not found, do instead /opt/homebrew/bin/brew install php.

You don’t need to understand how to use the debugger either. Just open it up as per the linked instructions and run the command that fails, then copy whatever is in the debugger and paste it here. It’s essentially a log which lists how the Workflow is running, so we can see where it stops working for you.

Edited by vitor
  • vitor changed the title to Workflow issues after updating to Monterey

Sorry. brew install php wasn't working, so I thought maybe I didn't have Homebrew installed. When I tried to install it I got this:

% /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
==> Checking for `sudo` access (which may request your password)...
Password:
==> This script will install:
/opt/homebrew/bin/brew
/opt/homebrew/share/doc/homebrew
/opt/homebrew/share/man/man1/brew.1
/opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions/_brew
/opt/homebrew/etc/bash_completion.d/brew
/opt/homebrew

Press RETURN/ENTER to continue or any other key to abort:
==> /usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/chown -R williamp:admin /opt/homebrew
==> Downloading and installing Homebrew...
xcrun: error: unable to load libxcrun (dlopen(/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/lib/libxcrun.dylib, 0x0005): tried: '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/lib/libxcrun.dylib' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have (x86_64), need (arm64e)))).
Failed during: git init -q

No idea what this means.

Next problem: I keep getting this:

Error: Cannot install in Homebrew on ARM processor in Intel default prefix (/usr/local)!
Please create a new installation in /opt/homebrew using one of the
"Alternative Installs" from:
  https://docs.brew.sh/Installation
You can migrate your previously installed formula list with:
  brew bundle dump
zsh: command not found: pyenv
ln: /usr/local/bin/python: File exists

Again, no idea what this means.

OK. I finally got Homebrew and Python installed.

Now I'm flummoxed again. What does it meant to "run the debugger"? I go to the Preferences pane. I choose a workflow, say "Calculate Anything." I click the "bug" and get the message that the debugger is running. Then what? How do I test the workflow? Here's a screenshot. And thanks!

image.thumb.png.ad8e6a6615ff87e6509f1890975a2a97.png

OK. What I get is a popup that says:

"Unable to run task!" 

Reason: launch path not accessible

/usr/bin/php

Check that the selected language exists on your system.

If you're syncing Alfred's preferences, also check that all related workflow files exist locally.

Related Workflow Info...
Name: 'Calculate Anything'
Folder:/Users/williamp/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.420C6518-4157-4809-ADE9-1E531FD760A3"

And then the Debugger reads:

[13:56:44.992] Logging Started...
[13:56:50.904] Calculate Anything[Script Filter] Queuing argument ''
[13:56:50.909] Calculate Anything[Script Filter] Script with argv '' finished
[13:56:50.910] ERROR: Calculate Anything[Script Filter] Code -1: Task '/usr/bin/php' failed with reason 'launch path not accessible'

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Thanks.

I did that many times and it still doesn't work. The last time I ran it I got this response, and of course I have no idea what it means:

% brew install php
Running `brew update --auto-update`...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 2 taps (homebrew/core and homebrew/bundle).
==> New Formulae
agg                             echidna                         kalign                          libff                           linux-headers@5.15              pymol                           swiftdraw
distrobox                       ghorg                           kubesess                        libplacebo                      popeye                          shaderc                         vineyard

You have 12 outdated formulae installed.
You can upgrade them with brew upgrade
or list them with brew outdated.

Error: Could not link:
/usr/local/share/man/man1/brew.1

Please delete these paths and run:
  brew update
Error: Could not link:
/usr/local/share/doc/homebrew

Please delete these paths and run:
  brew update
Error: Cannot install in Homebrew on ARM processor in Intel default prefix (/usr/local)!
  brew bundle dump
(base) williamp@MBP-2022 ~ % brew upgrade
  brew bundle dump

Did you set up your Terminal to open with Rosetta? Do a right-click → Get Info on it and check if “Open using Rosetta” is checked. It should not be. If that is checked, leave it be for now and let me know either way.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:12 AM, WilliamP said:

I finally got Homebrew (…) installed.

Did you follow some non-official guide for that? If so, do you have the page?

• 2 weeks later...

It is weird that you’d get that result. What it essentially means is that on your Apple Silicon Mac it is installed as if it were an Intel Mac, which should not happen.

Does /opt/homebrew/bin/brew install php work? If not, start by uninstalling Homebrew:

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/uninstall.sh)"

And reinstalling:

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"