I'm Afraid to Update Alfred

It's been a while since I've updated Alfred. I'm a Powerpack user. The last two times I updated, all my data was lost ... I had to attempt to re-create all that I'd created. I just checked my sync to Dropbox, and -- sure enough -- the Alfred.alfredpreferences file was last modified 4 years ago in 2018, even though I'm constantly adding new web searches. Meanwhile my Alfred is working fine, so it has my current data. What can I do to ensure that everything I've done from 2018 to 2022 is saved and available to an updated Alfred 5? Why can't I simply download the current state of my Alfred preferences, and then upload if needed?

Thanks for any suggestions ...

3 hours ago, walks0ftly said:

the Alfred.alfredpreferences file was last modified 4 years ago in 2018

The Alfred.alfredpreferences file is a bundle, and the date on it doesn't necessarily reflect the date the contents last changed.

A huge number of users have upgraded from Alfred 4 to 5 successfully including using their existing data in Alfred 5, so there's nothing to worry about :) Do you use Time Machine? If so, make sure you've got a fresh backup done before you start which means that even if something were to go amiss, you can revert to a backup effortlessly.

Here's the guide to upgrading to Alfred 5:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/getting-started/migration/

Cheers,
Vero

8 hours ago, walks0ftly said:

Why can't I simply download the current state of my Alfred preferences, and then upload if needed?

Your Alfred preferences are local. Always. There is nothing to download; for them to work they will be present on your machine. You only sync (upload) them if you want to.

In the Advanced tab of the Alfred Preferences, check the syncing location. Make sure it’s pointing to where you think it is and that you’re not looking at an old bundle not connected to anything (but as @Vero said, don’t mind the modification date from the bundle itself, it is the contents that change).

Then, to be doubly sure, you can just grab that bundle and copy it somewhere else. If anything happens and you want to rollback, you’ll have what you need in there and can recopy the bundle to the correct location.