hiding the alfred icon in the menu bar

I am a mac user and a minimalist. I want to hide the Alfred icon in the menubar so I use

alfred pref -> appearance -> options -> hide menu bar icon

the Alfred icon does disappear. But a day or so later the Alfred icon is back on the menubar and the checkbox is OFF. Can you help me please. 

Thanks for the reply Andrew

1. Repairing Permissions 

Tried this did not help.

2. Unsync Dropbox Settings

I Dont use dropbox sync

3. Resetting Alfred to Defaults

Did this, some of these are folders so I did a "rm -r *" in the folders. All my workflows had to be imported (not a problem). But still no luck

~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences.plist

~/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2

~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2

4. Create a New User Account

Yes this solves the problem.  How difficult will it be to port all my stuff over to a new account???? Is this gonna be a 20 minute job or will I be working at it for a morning?

Rather than deleting the contents of the folders above, try deleting the actual folders so they can be recreated from scratch. We essentially want Alfred to be able to rebuild the entire preferences, cache and app support folder structure as if it's a new install.

If it's working on a new account, do you have something installed on your current account which is reverting or cleaning out settings automatically (e.g. one of the 'auto cleaner' type apps), which could be doing things without you knowing.

I did that and also deleted (was that a bad plan?)

~/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences/ 

but no luck. CLeaner type apps hmmm

Broomstick

AppCleaner

Does either of these start automatically. I think no

No, but AppCleaner has been known to delete Alfred 2's settings when getting it to delete Alfred 1 - did you use AppCleaner to delete Alfred 1?

Possible that I did about 3 weeks ago. But I dont remember for sure.

Do you want me to do a fresh install of Alfred? Delete alfred 2 in my apps floder and then download again???? or what is the best way?

If Alfred is working on a new user account, I don't think a fresh reinstall of Alfred will help.

Are settings disappearing straight away... e.g. Hide Alfred's hat (it hides), quit Alfred, restart Alfred and is the hat still hidden?

If Alfred is working on a new user account, I don't think a fresh reinstall of Alfred will help.

Are settings disappearing straight away... e.g. Hide Alfred's hat (it hides), quit Alfred, restart Alfred and is the hat still hidden?

Yes the setting disappear after an Alfred restart.  So the hat comes back to my menu bar after an Alfred restart per your message.

Yes the setting disappear after an Alfred restart.  So the hat comes back to my menu bar after an Alfred restart per your message.

Could you zip up your Alfred.alfredpreferences and email them to info@alfredapp com so I can see if the setting is actually set in it (check the path of this in Alfred's Advanced syncing if you have syncing setup).

Funny some settings stay and some setting are lost. If I change the Alfred hotkey to

CMD SPace

that is still there after a restart. My workflows all remain. But if I set "Where are you" to UK then that gets lost, as does asking Alfred to put Bookmarks in the default results.

This could be a file permissioning problem??

Sent the email. Here are the permissions

ls -al /Users/Paul/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   6 paul  staff  204 10 Apr 12:44 .
drwxr-xr-x   8 paul  staff  272 10 Apr 15:00 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 paul  staff  102 10 Apr 12:44 clipboard
drwxr-xr-x   5 paul  staff  170 10 Apr 14:53 preferences
drwxr-xr-x   2 paul  staff   68 10 Apr 12:44 resources
drwxr-xr-x  13 paul  staff  442 10 Apr 13:05 workflows

Some things are synced, some things aren't (main hotkey isn't which is why you are seeing different behaviour).

Looking at the Alfred.alfredpreferences you emailed, settings are being persisted correctly too:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>hidehat</key>
        <true/>
        <key>hidemenu</key>
        <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Could you also email me:

~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences.plist