Workflow to force the orange dot / CoreAudio to reset?

I've got an an issue here on Monterey (12.6) where the menubar's orange dot (mic indicator) persists even after closing all apps that use the mic. It happens every day. I've learned that it's possible to force it to reset with this terminal command: 

sudo killall coreaudiod

I understand running a sudo command via Alfred isn't possible (or at least really not recommended).

Does anyone know of another way to the same goal using Alfred?

Edited by gills
32 minutes ago, gills said:

I understand running a sudo command via Alfred isn't possible

You can, it’s just that sudo asks for your password in the interactive Terminal, and since the point of a Run Script is to not need one, there’s nowhere to insert your password. But if you add a Run Script Action with language /usr/bin/osascript (AppleScript) and code do shell script "killall coreaudiod" with administrator privileges it should work, since you’ll get a GUI asking for your password (or biometric authentication).

34 minutes ago, gills said:

(or at least really not recommended)

Only in the sense that you shouldn’t run administrator commands without an understanding of what you’re doing. If you understand the situation and will be the only one to run the workflow anyway, not really a problem.

36 minutes ago, gills said:

Does anyone know of another way to the same goal using Alfred?

Your situation is quite specific, so any alternative in Alfred would require first that you had another solution to be implemented.

Are you sure every app using the microphone is off? Either one of the apps doesn‘t stop listening or macOS has a bug. Check OverSight for an app that tells you when audio is requested and the process that asked for it. If it’s a macOS bug, use the Feedback Assistant app to send a bug report to Apple.

10 hours ago, vitor said:

You can, it’s just that sudo asks for your password in the interactive Terminal, and since the point of a Run Script is to not need one, there’s nowhere to insert your password. But if you add a Run Script Action with language /usr/bin/osascript (AppleScript) and code do shell script "killall coreaudiod" with administrator privileges it should work, since you’ll get a GUI asking for your password (or biometric authentication).

Only in the sense that you shouldn’t run administrator commands without an understanding of what you’re doing. If you understand the situation and will be the only one to run the workflow anyway, not really a problem.

Your situation is quite specific, so any alternative in Alfred would require first that you had another solution to be implemented.

Are you sure every app using the microphone is off? Either one of the apps doesn‘t stop listening or macOS has a bug. Check OverSight for an app that tells you when audio is requested and the process that asked for it. If it’s a macOS bug, use the Feedback Assistant app to send a bug report to Apple.

Ahh, I didn't realize it's as simple as a popup GUI asking for authentication — my bad, thanks for clearing this up for me, works perfectly.

I gave OverSight a try as well, but it looks like it only monitors the internal mic and FaceTime camera, and I actually use my MacBook Pro in clamshell mode with an external audio interface (and no webcam). So even when I disconnect the computer and use it as a normal laptop at the end of the day, as right now, I still see the orange dot even with all apps fully quit, and OverSight is completely blank.

Anyway, thanks again! I'll submit a bug report with Apple. I found other reports of this and do believe it's a bug.