Watch List — Play and manage local media and streams

• 2 months later...

Heads-up that I’ve completely revamped WatchList, rebuilding it from the ground up. It adds new features, makes others better, and some are just different. I’ve been successfully using the new version for a few weeks now, with no hiccups. I haven’t released it yet because I still have to write a new README.

I’ve once again changed the list format (hopefully for good). The last time I did so I also had a new feature in mind that would be added eventually. But while building it, I thought the previous changes weren’t enough to do all that I wanted and Alfred didn’t have certain features that we can take advantage of now.

The reason I’m making this heads-up is that the new list format is incompatible with the old one and I don’t intend to make a converter. I could try to do so, but I’m not sure the amount of users I have for this Workflow is worth the trouble. So when the update comes, make sure you have watched everything in your list or are ready to readd your items.

There’s no ETA for the new version; it’ll be when I finally get around to making the README.

Update.

Major revamp, as hinted earlier!

Notable changes:

• Support directories, automatically considering the first file!
  • Support sorting by size and duration.
  • Support only audiovisual content.
  • New list file format.
  • More straightforward editing of order and renaming.
  • Consolidate sharing and marking as unwatched.
  • Got rid of wld in favour of deleting immediately after watching.
  • Support sequential playing.
  • Support playing without marking as watched.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

Update.

An item will not be marked as watched if we can access the player’s CLI and it exits with a failure exit code. This means we can configure our video player to not exit successfully on certain conditions and have greater granularity with WatchList.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

Edited by vitor
1 hour ago, deanishe said:

Perhaps you could give an example of that?

Sure!

In mpv1 I’ve edited ~/.config/mpv/input.conf2 to include:

ESC quit-watch-later 9
q quit-watch-later

The 9 could be any number and is the exit code that will be output from the operation. So both and q do the same thing (quit-watch-later3) but with different exit codes. So if I told WatchList to play something and mark it as watched but I change my mind while the video is playing4 I press .

1. My media player of choice.
2. mpv’s configuration file for keyboard shortcuts.
3. Exit the player but save every detail about the current file: where we’re at, window position, alternative tracks, …, and load it again when the file is reopened.
4. For example, if I get sleepy and decide I won’t watch everything in one sitting, as I previously thought.

Cool. I didn't know about quit-watch-later. I'll add that to my configuration files, too.

I think I've mentioned before that I use a pair of tags (watched and unwatched) on my videos. I have a Lua script in mpv that removes unwatched and adds watched at 75% progress through a video, and W is mapped to toggle the tags.

That's no good for streams, though. Unless you store each one as an .m3u, I guess.

2 hours ago, nikivi said:

Have you guys tried out IINA? It's pretty awesome imo.

Yeah. I sacked it off, as it didn't properly respect mpv mode (e.g. q didn't quit the app), but that was fixed.

But it still doesn't load the scripts I mentioned above, so I'm sticking with mpv for now.

On 04/12/2017 at 8:30 PM, nikivi said:

Have you guys tried out IINA?

I’d probably recommend it to non-technical users, but since it’s based on mpv that essentially means it’ll always be behind. As such, I’d rather have mpv, at least until it can do everything I want.

12 hours ago, thanasut said:

Online YouTube watchlist would be great if it's possible.

See swl in the README.

On 12/6/2017 at 4:03 AM, vitor said:

I’d probably recommend it to non-technical users, but since it’s based on mpv that essentially means it’ll always be behind. As such, I’d rather have mpv, at least until it can do everything I want.

See swl in the README.

Thank you!

Update.

In the wls sorting order, added a “Best ratio first” option. This basically means at the top it’ll be the file that takes up more disk space per media second. This’ll only work on items that you add after the update.

Edited by vitor

Update.

Add top_on_play. If the top_on_play Workflow Environment Variable is set to true, the item will be moved to the top of the list before starting playback.

Edited by vitor
  • 2 weeks later...

Update.

• Fixes appending to list.
  • Added support for adding full playlist as stream (swl with ⌘). This was already possible form the playlist page, but now you can do it from the page of any video in the playlist.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Update.

Sound when marking stream as played. Files always had a sound indicator (sending to the trash), so it’s useful to maintain consistency.

• 4 weeks later...