Inconsistent behaviour when opening URLs

Subject22

When I ask Alfred to open a URL (for example, from a standard search which returned bookmarks, a workflow which returned a URL, or a manually typed URL), he sometimes opens the URL in a new window rather than a new tab. I seem to remember the same thing happening with V1, so it's a long-standing issue. I've tried to find ways to reproduce the problem reliably, but I've come up short. All I can say is that it happens frequently (a few times a day) and that I haven't been able to discern a pattern.

If the problem occurs (i.e.: I tell Alfred to open a URL and he opens it in a new window rather than a new tab) then it will keep happening with subsequent URLs until I open a new tab manually. That said, Alfred does seem to fix himself after a varying period of time.

Sorry to be vague on details, I wouldn't have posted it until I had something more concrete but it's been such a long time, and it's been really annoying me. I did a quick google search and found a reference to a Get Satisfaction page which seemed to be relevant, but annoyingly I can't get it to load (asterisk added to prevent the link from being shrunk).

h*ttp://getsatisfaction.com/alfredapp/topics/alfred_not_putting_web_search_in_a_new_tab_in_safari_but_does_in_chrome/edit+alfred+opening+url+in+new+window&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz

Details

OS X 10.8.3

Safari 6.0.3

Alfred 2.0.2 (178)

When I ask Alfred to open a URL (for example, from a standard search which returned bookmarks, a workflow which returned a URL, or a manually typed URL), he sometimes opens the URL in a new window rather than a new tab. I seem to remember the same thing happening with V1, so it's a long-standing issue. I've tried to find ways to reproduce the problem reliably, but I've come up short. All I can say is that it happens frequently (a few times a day) and that I haven't been able to discern a pattern.

If the problem occurs (i.e.: I tell Alfred to open a URL and he opens it in a new window rather than a new tab) then it will keep happening with subsequent URLs until I open a new tab manually. That said, Alfred does seem to fix himself after a varying period of time.

Sorry to be vague on details, I wouldn't have posted it until I had something more concrete but it's been such a long time, and it's been really annoying me. I did a quick google search and found a reference to a Get Satisfaction page which seemed to be relevant, but annoyingly I can't get it to load (asterisk added to prevent the link from being shrunk).

h*ttp://getsatisfaction.com/alfredapp/topics/alfred_not_putting_web_search_in_a_new_tab_in_safari_but_does_in_chrome/edit+alfred+opening+url+in+new+window&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz

Details

OS X 10.8.3

Safari 6.0.3

Alfred 2.0.2 (178)

Alfred just asks OS X to open a URL and has no concept of what happens after that. This behaviour is defined and controlled by the web browser.

Moving this to closed.

Hm. I did not know that. Do you have any desire to modify Alfred to work around this issue with OSX? Understandable if you don't :-)

Definitely not - Alfred is currently agnostic to the software below him which makes him future proof (even for minor OS updates). By making him more specific regarding browsers, he is at the mercy of every OS / Browser change.

I would not have the first idea how to go about that, but I'm always keen to learn :D I might give it a try when I have more time to spare. My current project is a simulation tool for the RIP protocol. Time consuming, but fun :D Thanks for your help :-)