text-actions

Dziad Borowy

I'd like to add a text-transformation workflow to the gallery.

It allows to quickly transform the entered/pasted text:

• Decode/Encode Base64
  • Decode/Encode HTML Entities
  • Decode/Encode URL
  • Decode Unicode
  • Capital Case
  • lower case
  • UPPER CASE
  • Trim text

screen.thumb.png.475d0542878e710c283d420c1b13d628.png

Edited by Dziad Borowy

• 5 months later...

Thank you for the patience @Dziad Borowy,

Unfortunately this cannot go it as is because it contains an unsigned binary (this is covered in the pinned post). But even if it were signed, it’s only compiled for Intel and it would have to be compiled for both Intel and Apple Silicon.

Edited by vitor

Thank you. Continuing the review I’m finding other issues.

• You’re calling /usr/local/bin/php, which won’t work for people on Apple Silicon since Homebrew installs to /opt/homebrew/bin there. The correct method is to just call php, as Alfred is aware of the Homebrew paths.
  • The bottom actions have notes to “Don’t forget to hint to Alfred not to close in the connection config” but you haven’t set that up.
  • After every interaction the Universal Actions panel shows up again. That is confusing and won’t be what users expect most of the time. It’s fine to have it as an option (e.g. when doing ⌘↩ on the Universal Action) but as the default it looks like a mistake.
  • The all white and thin icon is quite hard to see on clear themes. https://font2png.com is a good resource for creating fast icons. I recommend having a non-transparent background with rounded corners.

Thanks @vitor!

I learnt a lot from your comment 🙂

I updated the repo and released a new version.

1 question though:

> After every interaction the Universal Actions panel shows up again

- I disabled that for all actions

> The bottom actions have notes to “Don’t forget to hint to Alfred not to close in the connection config” but you haven’t set that up.

- if I set this up - it will conflict with the previous comment (and leave alfred window open after hitting enter), no?

Thanks so much for your time and tips!

To be clear, I don’t mean that you have to follow what the note says, the point is that you have notes which indicate something but are doing something else, which is confusing.

You forgot to attach the packaged workflow to the GitHub release. I found it in the repo but please make sure it’s in the releases for the next update.

This will be live later at https://alfred.app/workflows/tborychowski/text-actions/.

Thanks @vitor

But I did create a gh release: https://github.com/tborychowski/alfred-text-actions/releases/tag/v1.4

Thanks so much for your patience and help!

Edit: Last question: How do I update the version that's in the gallery? Is it manual process involving yourselves, or is there some automation? 

Edited by Dziad Borowy

34 minutes ago, Dziad Borowy said:

Last question: How do I update the version that's in the gallery? Is it manual process involving yourselves, or is there some automation? 

All you need to do is to post any update on GitHub as and when you make one. The Gallery will automatically detect the update and itself will be updated soon after your GitHub update. Users who have downloads from the Gallery can use the Alfred Gallery link (at the bottom of the list of workflows in Alfred) to check for, and download, any updates from the Gallery.

As long as you keep releasing them the same way (e.g. new GitHub releases) updates will be detected and checked for. If you ever change the distribution method it’s helpful to flag that so the update mechanism can adapt. Note there is a delay between a release and it showing up in the Gallery which allows the workflow creator to add requested features and deal with any feedback.

Stephen