Automation task "Set wallpaper" does not always work?

I'm using Ventura 13.1 with Alfred 5.0.6 on Intel Silicon.

Currently, my wallpaper is set to use an album in Photos and select a new random image from it every hour.

In a workflow, I download an image from the web and try to set it as the wallpaper. Downloading works ok, and the automation task "Set wallpaper" runs without an error. If I use "Get path to wallpaper" after that, I see the correct path. But the real wallpaper, i.e. the one on the screen, is not changed. Is that expected behavior and perhaps connected to my system setting of "album, change randomly every hour"?

Edit: After changing the wallpaper setting for this desktop to "use an image", the workflow works. I'm uncertain if it's intentional that "Set wallpaper" works only with a particular system setting, though.

Edited by chrillek
  • chrillek changed the title to Automation task "Set wallpaper" does not always work?
10 hours ago, chrillek said:

I'm uncertain if it's intentional that "Set wallpaper" works only with a particular system setting, though.

It’s a case where macOS itself works that way. Not everything is controllable or queryable (another example is wallpapers on different spaces/desktops). I will see if I make a note about it in the Automation Task. In my personal set up I have that setting off and instead built a launchd daemon to replace the wallpaper every hour.