Set Default Browser

icon.png
Default Browser

An Alfred workflow to set the default web browser. 

▸ Visit on Github ◂ | ▸ Alfred Gallery ◂

Usage Note

• Set the default web browser using the keyword (default: sdb).
  • The macOS browser change confirmation dialog is automatically accepted.

Utility: Use the workflow’s File Action (name: Bundle Identifier Information) to retrieve an application’s bundle identifier.

sdb1.png

sdb2.png

sdb3.png

Edited by zeitlings
v1.3.0
  • 2 months later...

@zeitlingsThanks for this workflow. 

Quick question. When triggered, I think the workflow takes 3-4 seconds to show the brlow popup and then click the "Use <Browser>" button. Is that how it is expected to work. Because the other day I triggered it and start typing something (thinking this browser has been changed in the background) and the popup showed up at the same time I pressed the Tab key, that changed the focus. 

image.thumb.png.5c5e6c3c08e03d547a8659fe008c85d4.png

@andy4222 That is probably the Apple Script taking some time to wake up. MacOS will always ask you if you are sure you want to change the browser. The script focuses that modal window and "clicks" the button to accept the change. If you're switching to an another window before that has happened, the script will fail. So yeah, there might be a delay (also for the swift script to execute if it is called the first time after a while; after that it seems to be cached somewhere and executes faster.)

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/19/2023 at 5:23 PM, zeitlings said:

Add the browsers you’re missing to the list filter and provide the bundle identifiers for them, or remove the ones that you don’t need.

You can add a checkbox list in User Configuration so we can uncheck the browsers we don't want listed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, zeitlings said:

If it can handle http URLs, it should be possible. With v1.2.0 you can just throw it into the List Filter and check if it works. 

There is the "Bundle Identifier Information" Universal Action to find the bundle identifier if you need it.

Do you need me to check anything to add native support?

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your wonderful workflow. I use it to switch between Safari, Arc, Firefox and Ghost browser. I was able to add Ghost browser using you bundle identifier and manually modify the appropiate files (info.plist, list.sh) and add an icon.