Alfred-less: in a boat without a paddle. [Slightly OT]

I've had the mixed pleasure this afternoon of setting up a new MacBook Pro and migrating everything from my old MacBook Pro. For a short time that left me, on the new laptop, bereft of Alfred. It was an appalling experience: no speedy access to anything, plunging around trying to launch apps, etc.

Alfred, of course, returned in short measure, rediscovered his preferences, delighted in being re-registered…and my blood pressure has reduced.

I think I never realise just how much I depend on Alfred until he takes a short holiday. No further holidays are now allowed, sorry Alfred.

Stephen

That made me laugh, I know the feeling!

I occasionally restart Alfred for testing purposes and immediately upon quitting my instinct is to press Alfred’s shortcut. In my mind I want to bring up Alfred to tell it open Alfred. After a few times where it took way too long for my brain to realise how to open Alfred again, I readded /Applications to my Finder’s sidebar. The only reason I have it in there is to reach Alfred in those cases.

I use a bunch of Linux workstations regularly for my research. There is nothing that comes close to Alfred on Linux, and I end up with a hodge-podge of utilities (launcher, clipboard manager, clipping host etc.) that cannot in any way come near the pleasure of using Alfred. While I can replace most of the general utility of Alfred, I cannot in any way replace the general "workflow" (let alone the power of workflows!).

And with Alfred Gallery, this has been kicked up a whole notch!