Timer

This simple workflow runs a timer in your Mac menu bar for the number of minutes you specify.

Timer.thumb.png.ccc49e8f489fb911684713ea2dcc3cdb.png

The only dependency is a macOS Shortcut. I apologise that, because of my inability to work out how to package it with the workflow allowing you automatically to install it, you have to write it yourself. It looks like this:

TheShortcut.thumb.png.65a9ae14a2b23aedee315ac1573104bd.png

There is further guidance in the workflow User Configuration.

GitHub download link.

Stephen

Stephen,

I'm guessing you have tried this but is there a way to use applescript to set timers so you would have to rely on the shortcuts app? 

EDIT

just answered my owner question. No applescript for timers in the clock app. Damn Ventura!

Edited by sepulchra

You can export shortcuts as files. Then you can check if a certain Shortcut is installed (only by name) and open the file (to install) if not. It’s how Calm Notifications works, though it does use code to give the feedback directly inside the Script Filter.

My plan for SandwichTimer is to use this same technique for setting timers and alarms.

Edited by vitor
Fixed link
19 minutes ago, vitor said:

You can export shortcuts as files. Then you can check if a certain Shortcut is installed (only by name) and open the file (to install) if not. It’s how Calm Notifications works, though it does use code to give the feedback directly inside the Script Filter.

My plan for SandwichTimer is to use this same technique for setting timers and alarms.

Can't wait for a new sandwichTimer!

Thanks for that Vitor. I got as far as exporting the Shortcut and including it in the workflow folder (not yet in a released version) but was stumped at the installation process. Your link to Calm Notifications simply brings me back here on the forum and I can find no other references to it when searching the forum. I did look at the SandwichTimer workflow but (with apologies) the programming is well above my pay grade!

I'm slightly inclined to release an update of the workflow including the Shortcut, and simply direct users in the User Configuration to the workflow folder to install the Shortcut manually from there. Is that so appallingly amateurish as to be completely undesirable?

Stephen

23 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

Your link to Calm Notifications simply brings me back here on the forum

Not sure what happened there. Link fixed.

24 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

I did look at the SandwichTimer workflow but (with apologies) the programming is well above my pay grade!

It doesn’t use the Clock app yet, but a bespoke app. When it’s updated it will be completely rewritten.

25 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

I'm slightly inclined to release an update of the workflow including the Shortcut, and simply direct users in the User Configuration to the workflow folder to install the Shortcut manually from there.

Have a Keyword connected to an Open File. That way you can instruct users to “run <whatever> to install the Shortcut”, which is more convenient.