Workflow for opening jpg files in photoshop (?)

Hello,

I would like to create a workflow in Alfred to be able to automatically open jpg files once they are created and saved in a selected folder. 

Alfred would detect new files created from Capture One inside that folder and open them automatically and immediately in Photoshop after they are created.

The destination folder for Capture One would be located on the same computer and should be easy to change. 

The idea is to incorporate Alfred into my workflow to be more productive.

If it were possible to make an Alfred workflow, could someone help me to create it?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Luis M

I do not believe that you can in effect set Alfred to "watch” a folder. However a File Filter action linked to an Open File action will do much of what you want.

You can set the File Filter to:

• search in a specified folder;
  • be restricted to jpeg files; and
  • sort displayed files in order of creation date.

The Open File action allows you to specifiy the app with which you wish to open the selected file.

In effect, you'd merely have to type your keyword to see the jpeg files in the folder and could then select one, press ⏎ and have it opened with Photoshop.

Stephen

Stephen, thanks very much
That comment was more enlightening than days of searching the internet for references. 
Although it's not exactly what I wanted, I'll see if I can emulate what you plant from Alfred. 
I hope someone else can shed some light on how to resolve the monitoring in the destination folder.
Best

3 minutes ago, Luis M said:

I hope someone else can shed some light on how to resolve the monitoring in the destination folder.

There is an excellent app for that sort of thing: Hazel. I (and many others) use it and it's wonderful. However, I've not given thought as to how that might be linked to an Alfred workflow (although it is scriptable, I believe).

I'm actually wondering to what extent the monitoring is really important in your case. On the basis of what you said in your first post you're saving a jpeg file from Capture One which you want to view straight away in Photoshop. So all you have to do then is to run your Alfred workflow—either by typing the keyword or, indeed, by adding a hotkey to the workflow.

I'm not trying to detract from what you want to do but merely to keep everything reasonably simple and straightforward. 😀

Stephen

1 hour ago, Stephen_C said:

However, I've not given thought as to how that might be linked to an Alfred workflow

External Triggers are the way to call Alfred workflows from other apps.

1 hour ago, Stephen_C said:

On the basis of what you said in your first post you're saving a jpeg file from Capture One which you want to view straight away in Photoshop. So all you have to do then is to run your Alfred workflow—either by typing the keyword or, indeed, by adding a hotkey to the workflow.

To add, the Automation Task for Files and Folders → Get Most Recently Added Path seems like the perfect match, since it will get the most recently saved file without extra fuss.

I have used Hazel to apply the necessary rules for this workflow and although it is a bit peculiar and not as simple as I thought it would be, I have managed it and it works well. 

Thanks for your help. 

I hope Alfred will continue to evolve and allow to do these things someday.

Best