Automation task - "is App running" not working ventura 13.3 beta

oorbx

Hey Alfred team,

Workflow automation task - "is app running" not working anymore in Ventura 13.3 beta.

I tried many apps as notes or safari, not working.

(I tried to use identifier ID, or full path - ventura has changed safari path) but not succeed.

Probably bug. 😕

Edited by oorbx

• oorbx changed the title to Automation task - "is App running" not working ventura 13.3 beta

Yeah, probably they change something. But i worry, that nobody from apple can fix it, because i dont know how to formulate.

I tried debugger with this result :

20:27:14.565] Launch file group from hotkey[Hotkey] Processing complete
[20:27:14.577] Launch file group from hotkey[Hotkey] Passing output '' to Automation Task
[20:27:14.578] Launch file group from hotkey[Automation Task] Running task 'Is App Running?' with arguments (
    ""
)
[20:27:14.650] ERROR: Launch file group from hotkey[Automation Task] Task Error: Inspection is enabled by default for process or parent application with deprecated 'com.apple.webinspector.allow' entitlement. Use `inspectable` API to enable inspection instead.

When i try to add any app, or any path or anything, still the same error

Edited by oorbx

1. Open the Script Editor App.
  2. Change the language to JavaScript (top left).
  3. Paste the following code: Application("System Events").applicationProcesses.where({ frontmost: true })[0].name()
  4. Run the script ("play" button on the top right).

Expected outcome is to see “Script Editor” in the result. But the outcome you get is the error you mentioned.

If you confirm that, it’s the information you can give in the Apple Feedback app. A description would be something like “Getting frontmost app with JavaScript for Automation fails in Ventura 13.3 beta”.

Hey, thanks for reply. I tried it now.

Outcome in script editor app is really "Script editor", but outcome in debugger in Alfred finished still with error message.

__

I tried reinstall alfred as well, remove/add on settings - accesibility as well, but no any change.

I think one of best automation task, which is include in alfred and my mistake with mac os beta 😕 

Edited by oorbx

The error message you’re getting is weird. Will have to wait until 13.3 to test.

1 hour ago, oorbx said:

my mistake with mac os beta

It’s a good tip to never install macOS and iOS betas unless you really need to for testing purposes. And even then, never install them on your main machine. They are betas after all, and that does mean instability.

Yeah, i understand. I like betas, because its not primary my working machine, just trial... But alfred automation start to be "my daily must have" with keystroke 🙂

Anyhow thanks for help. i will wait.

What i know for sure that before update everything working 100% fine, and its related to 13.3 beta.

Some other automation task, seems to be working as well... only "is app running" cannot be viewed by alfred somehow.

Hi. Just to add...

I have had this error message come up with every automation task in Alfred since I upgraded to the latest Ventura beta the other day. I've trawled Google for, what feels like days, and the only thing I can find is about the web inspector/Safari, and even though the error message mentions the web inspector, the issues that I and oorbx are having are not Safari/web-related (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). So it will be interesting to see how and when this is resolved by Apple, or if someone finds a workaround sooner. If I find out how to fix it, I'll let you know.

Craig

10 hours ago, kraig85 said:

Hi. Just to add...

I have had this error message come up with every automation task in Alfred since I upgraded to the latest Ventura beta the other day. I've trawled Google for, what feels like days, and the only thing I can find is about the web inspector/Safari, and even though the error message mentions the web inspector, the issues that I and oorbx are having are not Safari/web-related (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). So it will be interesting to see how and when this is resolved by Apple, or if someone finds a workaround sooner. If I find out how to fix it, I'll let you know.

Craig

Yeah, it doesnt matter, what i will mention to "is app running" task... app name, app full path, id, or only character "a", it finished with same :

[22:50:23.489] ERROR: Launch file group from hotkey[Automation Task] Task Error: Inspection is enabled by default for process or parent application with deprecated 'com.apple.webinspector.allow' entitlement. Use `inspectable` API to enable inspection instead.

But as Vitor said, beta are instable and we have to expect unexpected 🙂

Edited by oorbx

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kraig85 said:

but nothing has changed with regards to the API inspection message.

That is good news. Because it means we have a clear understanding of where the problem lies. This has to be reported to Apple. @oorbx @pwiggins Pinging you as well, because the more people file the same report, the more Apple prioritises it.

To make a report, open the Feedback Assistant app which comes with your Mac and do File → New Feedback → macOS. Then fill it with the following information:

• Title: osascript (JavaScript) fails with deprecated entitlement in Ventura 13.3 beta
  • Area of the issue: JavaScriptCore
  • Type of issue: Incorrect/Unexpected Behaviour
  • Description:

osascript commands using JavaScript as the language fail in Ventura 13.3 beta.

To reproduce, run such a command in the Terminal. The following returns the name of the frontmost app:

osascript -l JavaScript -e 'Application("System Events").applicationProcesses.where({ frontmost: true })[0].name()'

In Ventura 13.3 beta, the above fails with:

Inspection is enabled by default for process or parent application with deprecated 'com.apple.webinspector.allow' entitlement. Use `inspectable` API to enable inspection instead.

Then click Submit.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:52 AM, oorbx said:

Yeah, it doesnt matter, what i will mention to "is app running" task... app name, app full path, id, or only character "a", it finished with same :

[22:50:23.489] ERROR: Launch file group from hotkey[Automation Task] Task Error: Inspection is enabled by default for process or parent application with deprecated 'com.apple.webinspector.allow' entitlement. Use `inspectable` API to enable inspection instead.

But as Vitor said, beta are instable and we have to expect unexpected 🙂

Hello, I just upgraded macOS Ventura 13.3 Beta 4 Release Notes, which has fixed this problem. Now I can use Automation Task normally and play happily again. However, after upgrading to the official version next time, I will consider launching a beta experience.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:06 AM, HYUGA said:

Hello, I just upgraded macOS Ventura 13.3 Beta 4 Release Notes, which has fixed this problem. Now I can use Automation Task normally and play happily again. However, after upgrading to the official version next time, I will consider launching a beta experience.

Oh thanks for info

i unregistered from beta, but i have to register again now 🙂 stucked on 13.3 beta 3 up to now