Default Universal Action to zip files and folders

22 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

In the meantime what I do is to use a Universal Action linked to a Make Archive shortcut—which works well.

Stephen

That's great idea. @Stephen_CStephen

I would like to get the steps right. 

1. Make .zip archive from input -- Make Archive shortcut

2. Universal action to select single and multiple files

3. Connect to Make Archive with following settings

- Treat input as files

- Wait for shortcut and pass its output

I tried this and get no error message in debug. But no archive file is generated. Can you please review and let me know step that I am missing. 

The Shortcut I use is actually very simple and looks like this:

Shortcuts--16-03-2023-at16_56.25@2x.thumb.png.7527dc2595671efdaa200e37b8154b2f.png

Edit: The Shortcut settings on Alfred Select a Shortcut are "Treat input as File(s)” and "Continue immediately and pass through input”.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen_C

@sepulchra you might try changing the setting on the Alfred Select a Shortcut: dialog. The bottom setting on mine is set to "Continue immediately and pass through input”. See if that makes a difference—because I don't think your actual Shortcut differs from mine.

Edit: sorry, old man's bedtime 😀 - will pick up anything still outstanding early tomorrow!

Stephen

Edited by Stephen_C

Apologies: I was not being helpful! Looked at wrong shortcut because still had the AirDrop business on my mind. Here is my"Make archive” shortcut:

Shortcuts-MakeArchive-16-03-2023-at21_56.51@2x.thumb.png.06411648548c1c34479c5ae5449f9168.png

If I recall correctly the secret was to include the save command in it.

Stephen

Thanks. That works. I don't know if you know the answer but is there a way to get it to save to the same location the original file is without being prompted where to save? I couldn't sort that out. Either way it is great.

If not It might be just as easy to run as a bash script......

Thanks!

6 hours ago, sepulchra said:

I don't know if you know the answer but is there a way to get it to save to the same location the original file is without being prompted where to save?

If you click on Show More in the Save element of the Shortcut you could try to see what happens if Ask Where To Save is not checked. In my case it is checked becauuse I want the prompt. (I've not experimented to see if un-checking that provides what you need so you'll have to give it a try!)

Stephen

33 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

If you click on Show More in the Save element of the Shortcut you could try to see what happens if Ask Where To Save is not checked. In my case it is checked becauuse I want the prompt. (I've not experimented to see if un-checking that provides what you need so you'll have to give it a try!)

This is mostly static path. would be good to save the zip as same location