Jump to content

brightness workflow


Alan He

Recommended Posts

  • Alan He changed the title to brightness workflow
19 hours ago, vitor said:

There are two Call External Trigger not doing anything. And the workflow outright fails for me:

 

brightness: failed to get brightness of display 0x1 (error -536870201)

Parse error: bad token
    <stdin>:1

brightness: failed to set brightness of display 0x1 (error -536870201)

 

 

1. I have deleted unused call external trigger.

2. can you share me output on the terminal and system info?

 

command:  brightness -l | grep -o -E 'brightness.*([0-9]+(\.[0-9]+)?)'| tr -d 'brightness '

 

 

 

image.png

Edited by Alan He
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No idea. At first glance it’s weird because they seem to still be quite active on GitHub and technically they don’t even need to make a new binary, just tag a new release (because Homebrew then takes care of the compilation). So theoretically this could be solved from a phone in under a minute.


Maybe they missed that thread or no longer want to work on the project. It would be nice to have the update but ultimately it’s an open-source project released for free in (presumably) the author’s spare time, so it’s their choice.


Someone could fork it and then submit the fork to Homebrew, though it would require people using that and there are still other open issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2023 at 9:18 PM, vitor said:

No idea. At first glance it’s weird because they seem to still be quite active on GitHub and technically they don’t even need to make a new binary, just tag a new release (because Homebrew then takes care of the compilation). So theoretically this could be solved from a phone in under a minute.


Maybe they missed that thread or no longer want to work on the project. It would be nice to have the update but ultimately it’s an open-source project released for free in (presumably) the author’s spare time, so it’s their choice.


Someone could fork it and then submit the fork to Homebrew, though it would require people using that and there are still other open issues.

 

@vitor

 

I solved it by hosting both the x86 and arm versions directly in the workflow, so it doesn't rely on brew anymore. Fork submission is theoretically possible, but the issue is that there is still review, after all it's just a fork and not a second development.
 
 
1. Can you see if this is ok? Currently, the downside is that an x86 user downloading the workflow contains unnecessary arm program files, but the size overhead is still acceptable for now. 2. I don't have an M1 Mac on hand to test, I can only rely on user feedback from the repo that it is usable.
 
I have updated the workflow and dropped the brew dependency.

 

 

 
image.png.4366ae571f0150d27683b7959527696c.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alan He said:

I solved it by hosting both the x86 and arm versions directly in the workflow


They’re not signed and notarised so it doesn’t address the problem. Those won’t even run on user’s machines so your code will continue to fail, just with a different reason.

 

The point of the requirement is to ensure a degree of security and trust. All of this is covered in the pinned post and we talked about it before too.

 

Edited by vitor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 9:08 PM, vitor said:


They’re not signed and notarised so it doesn’t address the problem. Those won’t even run on user’s machines so your code will continue to fail, just with a different reason.

 

The point of the requirement is to ensure a degree of security and trust. All of this is covered in the pinned post and we talked about it before too.

 

 

The latest package "brightness", which the workflow depends on, has been updated. Therefore, it can now run properly on the M1. You can give it a try.

 

I'm still using the packages from brew as dependencies, and no longer provide unsigned binary files.

 

image.thumb.png.35ebd1a17e1700f1b70284434684e9e6.png

 

https://github.com/nriley/brightness/commits/master

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That commit is from 2021; nothing has changed with the tool since the last time this was discussed. The latest release is still from 2015, thus that’s what’s included in Homebrew, which means it doesn’t work on Apple Silicon (as per the link above). I have triple-checked this.

 

Since then there have been introduced a couple of new Automation Task which can change brightness up and down without dependencies so anyone can recreate this easily without code. I’ll soon have a workflow to exemplify that and the companion actions.


Because there doesn’t seem like the brightness situation will change any time soon, closing this submission. Naturally, you’re welcome to keep distributing it in your GitHub repo but it’s not a fit for the Gallery at this time as it won’t work for most people. Thank you anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, vitor said:

That commit is from 2021; nothing has changed with the tool since the last time this was discussed. The latest release is still from 2015, thus that’s what’s included in Homebrew, which means it doesn’t work on Apple Silicon (as per the link above). I have triple-checked this.

 

Since then there have been introduced a couple of new Automation Task which can change brightness up and down without dependencies so anyone can recreate this easily without code. I’ll soon have a workflow to exemplify that and the companion actions.


Because there doesn’t seem like the brightness situation will change any time soon, closing this submission. Naturally, you’re welcome to keep distributing it in your GitHub repo but it’s not a fit for the Gallery at this time as it won’t work for most people. Thank you anyway.

 

found it, thank you!

image.png.cc7b3f7c6ee17b3a4509a832f074856f.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...