Pasting from clipboard history into a Parallels VM

mackenziep

This has been an issue that I have seen even with Alfred v1 and continue to see in Alfred v2.  If I try to paste from the Alfred clipboard history into any application in my Windows 8 Enterprise Edition VM running on Parallels Build 8.0.18483 just a lowercase v appears.  Right after this letter v appears if I do CMD-C the desired item from clipboard history does paste.  

This has been an issue that I have seen even with Alfred v1 and continue to see in Alfred v2.  If I try to paste from the Alfred clipboard history into any application in my Windows 8 Enterprise Edition VM running on Parallels Build 8.0.18483 just a lowercase v appears.  Right after this letter v appears if I do CMD-C the desired item from clipboard history does paste.  

Alfred simulates a cmd+v in OS X to paste. Naturally, Parallels / Windows uses ctrl+v to paste so cmd+v doesn't work. If you can remap cmd to ctrl in Parallels then pasting may work.

I'm moving this to closed as there isn't much Alfred can do in this situation - he doesn't even check for the app being pasted to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I found this thread as I was experiencing the same issue, though there are some differences.

1:

Having used Alfred to find/use historic clipboard items, pressing 'Enter' does indeed send a lower case 'v' to the Parallels application. But then subsequently pressing CNTL 'v' in Parallels pastes the recovered clipboard item into the App. It's a bit clunky but it does get access to the historic clipboard items in Parallels.

2: 

In Parallels CMD 'v' pastes the current clipboard into the App, so I don't understand why Alfred doesn't emulate this?

Thanks

Trevor

Hi, I found this thread as I was experiencing the same issue, though there are some differences.

2: 

In Parallels CMD 'v' pastes the current clipboard into the App, so I don't understand why Alfred doesn't emulate this?

Thanks

Trevor

It may very well be parallels which only accepts raw (human) keyboard interaction and not simulated modifier changes which Alfred uses.

The best option may just to be to use cmd+c in Alfred's clipboard viewer and then manually paste into the Parallels app.

Andrew

thanks for the reply. I'm finding the paste, 'v', backspace, CNTL v is OK now i'm used to the keystrokes.

Trevor

BTW, I've just discovered Alfred has Favourites that can be pinned to the frame of the Alfred window - how useful is that. And why didn't I already know that??!! :)