Nerdfont support

Among frequent terminal users, the nerdfonts are becoming increasingly popular since they add icons to an application that otherwise does not support images.

I was thinking, that they might also be a great addition for Alfred, too. They are an easy way to add icons to your workflows or web searches. While it is possible to use a nerdfont via Alfred theme settings, this has the disadvantage that this only works for your own device (i.e. not usable for workflows you publish for others), and in the Alfred UI those nerdfonts are still question-mark-boxes or linestracks (), making it hard to use them really.

What some terminal emulators like WezTerm do is adding the nerdfont icons as a fallback symbol font, meaning that if the user uses a font that does not include the nerdfont icons, it automatically falls back to the symbol font. That way, users can still use their preferred font, don't have to fiddle with patching a font file, and still get nice icons. (css font stacks work the same way, if I remember correctly.) I think a similar approach could also make sense for Alfred.

See here an example where I am using a nerd font to display some icons in Alfred:

CleanShot2023-04-13at13_46.29@2x.thumb.png.eae86b8ebe6d7ac7905e12a139b6d8bf.png

6 minutes ago, xilopaint said:

@pseudometa what nerd font specifically have you installed to get these icons?

I personally use JetBrains Mono, but the icons are available in all nerdfonts. The name is a bit misleading, "nerdfonts" just means "font that has the nerd-icons added to it".

54 minutes ago, pseudometa said:

I personally use JetBrains Mono, but the icons are available in all nerdfonts. The name is a bit misleading, "nerdfonts" just means "font that has the nerd-icons added to it".

I have the Hack Nerd Font installed, but I'm not very familiar with the icons. Is there any practical way to search the icons without using the website?

some code editors have plugins which let you search or auto-complete nerdfont icons (similar to emoji pickers). But independent from the code editor, I only know of the website.

You could build an Alfred workflow for that though :P