OSICON=MountainLion.png
else # <=== this one
elif [ $SWVER == 10.9 ]; then
OSICON=Mavericks.png
else
OSICON=Yosemite.png
fi

This breaks the workflow.

On the other hand, I'm getting the following error, the workflow seems to work despite this:

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 0: cat: SPDisplaysDataType: No such file or directory
cat: SPDisplaysDataType: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: line 119: [: ==: unary operator expected
/bin/bash: line 123: [: ==: unary operator expected
/bin/bash: line 127: [: ==: unary operator expected

Hope it helps. Keep up the nice work.

Ooops, I upped the working workflow ... it is now corrected for the ICON.

The 'SPDisplaysDataType' error is technically an error, yes, but it just means you do not have the total number of graphics cards that the workflow supports.  I get this error too (if I look for it) on my iMac, because it has but one video card.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

One of my favourite workflows - well done!

The only minor issue I have encountered is with an incorrect model of MacBook Pro.

I have a 2014, 13" Retina MacBook pro as shown:-

V2LIUgx.png

However, the app identifies this as a mid-2010 13" non-Retina Macbook Pro. This (perhaps coincidentally?) was my old model of Mac, but I have since tried both resetting the app using the "xabout" command, and also deleting and reinstalling the app but the issue still exists.

PxLAqn5.png

Any ideas?

Edited by judgejohn82

The only minor issue I have encountered is with an incorrect model of MacBook Pro.

However, the app identifies this as a mid-2010 13" non-Retina Macbook Pro. This (perhaps coincidentally?) was my old model of Mac, but I have since tried both resetting the app using the "xabout" command, and also deleting and reinstalling the app but the issue still exists.

Any ideas?

If you have NOT opened "About This Mac" from your menu bar on a new system or a fresh install ... do so please.  THEN, reset the workflow and try again.  MANY times this issue arises because the required plist file does not exist unless "About This Mac" from the system menu is run first.

• 10 months later...

I made a modification to this workflow to improve how it turns the Model Identifier into a text string (it was incorrectly reporting my 2015 Macbook Retina as a mid 2011 MAcbook), and uploaded it to packal : http://www.packal.org/workflow/about-mac

I'm kinda new to Packal and this is my first bundle, so let me know if I did something wrong.

Thanks for this ... one issue, I don't get my Hardware Icon with this.  But I do like your changes and the fact you've put it on Packal!

Thanks for this ... one issue, I don't get my Hardware Icon with this.  But I do like your changes and the fact you've put it on Packal!

If you download and fix that bug, I'll happily update it to a newer version.. otherwise, maybe I'll take a crack at it later tonight.

Update 4:16 PM : I found the bug, and fixed it.. apparently "MacBookPro11,3" wasn't in the HardwareIcons.xml .. I added it.  If anyone has any other ID's, let me know and we can add them too.

Edited by Yeraze

If you download and fix that bug, I'll happily update it to a newer version.. otherwise, maybe I'll take a crack at it later tonight.

Update 4:16 PM : I found the bug, and fixed it.. apparently "MacBookPro11,3" wasn't in the HardwareIcons.xml .. I added it.  If anyone has any other ID's, let me know and we can add them too.

Is there any way, i.e., to change the logic to speed up the whole enquiry process?

I tried this workflow out of internet, and it's quick and responsive despite the absence of production year. However, once connecting to internet, it has a delay of around 3-4s to display the info, which is quite annoying.

My iMac 14,2 is still not showing the hardware icon ... but it wasn't broke with my workflow.

My iMac 14,2 is still not showing the hardware icon ... but it wasn't broke with my workflow.

Can you clear ( rm *.txt mymac.png ) your setup, and verify it?

I had something similar going on, but it was that my hardware.txt and mymac.png files had transferred over from another machine..

Cool workflow. Thanks for sharing!

Mine wasn't in there either - MacBookAir6,2.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, iNinja said:

Could you add support for Macbook Pro 2016?

Can you do me a favour:

Open Terminal

at the prompt paste the following and hit ENTER:

defaults read ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist | awk '/CPU Names/{getline;print}' | awk '{$1=$2=""; print $0}' | sed -e 's/"//g' -e 's/);//g' -e 's/(//g' | sed 's/^ *//'

Does this give you the correct model identifier?

3 minutes ago, RodgerWW said:

Can you do me a favour:

Open Terminal

at the prompt paste the following and hit ENTER:

defaults read ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist | awk '/CPU Names/{getline;print}' | awk '{$1=$2=""; print $0}' | sed -e 's/"//g' -e 's/);//g' -e 's/(//g' | sed 's/^ *//'

Does this give you the correct model identifier?

Unfortunately it did not. It's still saying MacBook Air 13-inch, Early 2014. However, my device is a macbook pro 2016 and it clearly has a touch bar. 

ss.png

See, the workflow reads from ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist to get the info.

So, if that is reading incorrectly, then, I need to find a new way of getting the modern device strings.

Can you quick-look the file mentioned, and tell me what the first 4 characters are in the <key> ?

IE: mine are F8J9 ... or, in About This Mac from the  menu, the last four characters of your MBP. They should match, is what I am getting at.

Edited by RodgerWW
1 hour ago, RodgerWW said:

See, the workflow reads from ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist to get the info.

So, if that is reading incorrectly, then, I need to find a new way of getting the modern device strings.

Can you quick-look the file mentioned, and tell me what the first 4 characters are in the <key> ?

IE: mine are F8J9 ... or, in About This Mac from the  menu, the last four characters of your MBP. They should match, is what I am getting at.

The 4 characters are HF1T

OK, if the info in the system file is wrong (which is weird but I suppose can happen)

DELETE the following file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist

Then, reboot the MBP or simply log out and log back in to the user.

Run "About This Mac" once from the  Menu so the system recreates the plist you just deleted.

Run "xabout" in Alfred to reset the workflow 'About This Mac'

Then, HOPEFULLY, the next time you run 'About This Mac' workflow from Alfred, it should display the correct info.

1 hour ago, RodgerWW said:

OK, if the info in the system file is wrong (which is weird but I suppose can happen)

DELETE the following file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist

Then, reboot the MBP or simply log out and log back in to the user.

Run "About This Mac" once from the  Menu so the system recreates the plist you just deleted.

Run "xabout" in Alfred to reset the workflow 'About This Mac'

Then, HOPEFULLY, the next time you run 'About This Mac' workflow from Alfred, it should display the correct info.

I followed the instructions, but it appears the problem persisted. I'm not sure if this piece of info maybe useful to you or not, but I did own a Macbook Air 13" Early 2014 version previously. I'm not sure why it is still showing up though.

atm.png

Edited by iNinja
2 hours ago, iNinja said:

I followed the instructions, but it appears the problem persisted. I'm not sure if this piece of info maybe useful to you or not, but I did own a Macbook Air 13" Early 2014 version previously. I'm not sure why it is still showing up though.

OK, so it would seem that something in the Alfred workflow folder is not getting cleared in this case.

In the workflow folder you will have a text file called "mymac.txt".  This text file is more-than-likely showing the system as being the early 2014 model.

You also should have a png file called "mymac.png" and it is probably clear/transparent as the identifier for your new system "MacBookPro13,2" is not in the "HardwareIcons.xml" file also in the workflow's folder.

First, I would suggest removing not only the workflow, but also any trace of it on the new system.

Then download the workflow and install it fresh. (Go to first post/page to download as I have just updated the workflow)

Then run the workflow so it can create the above mentioned text file and image ... The text file should be correct now that everything has been removed everywhere and the workflow installed fresh.

Edited by RodgerWW
adding information