is there any way to search within a BBEdit (or textedit) file containing a list of links and activate the found link?

Hello, 

I would like to create a file for example in BBEdit containing a list of URL links, and to be able with Alfred to 

1- search within that file

2- once I find a link to trigger it.

My question is not limited to URLs. I would like to do the same kind of thing with file paths for example.

thanks in advance for your time and help

3 hours ago, rob213 said:

Hello, 

I would like to create a file for example in BBEdit containing a list of URL links, and to be able with Alfred to 

1- search within that file

2- once I find a link to trigger it.

My question is not limited to URLs. I would like to do the same kind of thing with file paths for example.

thanks in advance for your time and help

Before prematurely answering, are you stating that you have BBEdit open with this file open within BBEdit, and then you want to launch Alfred and search within that file and take action on URL's or File paths?

34 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Before prematurely answering, are you stating that you have BBEdit open with this file open within BBEdit, and then you want to launch Alfred and search within that file and take action on URL's or File paths?

may I ask you if you are familiar with Keyboard Maestro ? I am just asking because they have something analogous.

39 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Thanks very much for your reply.

Basically I have a BBEdit file containing a list of URLs. Consider it like a database that I update regularly  (add, delete, edit URLs) regularly. I would like to know if I can create a workflow that would look at the contents of that file (which is closed, not open), allow me to select a URL in the list of results and open that URL in the browser.

thanks again

2 minutes ago, rob213 said:

Thanks very much for your reply.

Basically I have a BBEdit file containing a list of URLs. Consider it like a database that I update regularly  (add, delete, edit URLs) regularly. I would like to know if I can create a workflow that would look at the contents of that file (which is closed, not open), allow me to select a URL in the list of results and open that URL in the browser.

thanks again

Gotcha, sounds like a fun task!

Yes, this is completely possible and I think that since the file is likely just a text file underneath this is possible.

Could you provide a snippet of the file and I can create a workflow relatively quickly

1 hour ago, Terminal said:

Could you provide a snippet of the file and I can create a workflow relatively quickly

The forum does not allow me to upload a BBEdit txt file. Just for testing purposes, I created this list of URLs (basically the content of a BBEDIT text file). For privacy reasons, I can't list the content of the original BBEdit file. Basically also a list of URLs.

thanks very much

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/
https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/20329-is-there-any-way-to-search-within-a-bbedit-or-textedit-file-containing-a-list-of-links-and-activate-the-found-link/#comment-105211
https://github.com/drgrib/alfred-bear
https://www.alfredapp.com/help/ 

@Terminal Hi, very sorry for the delay. I was out.

Thank you for the workflow which I downloaded and installed.

- I am perplexed because although the although the workflow is enabled, the keyword defined and my typing it correctly in Alfred, it does not trigger your workflow.

2- concerning the text file, how could I modify the workflow so that a specific text file on my local drive (in ~/Documents/Alfred/Link Database.txt) is called up instead of a txt file buried inside Alfred ?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

image.png.da4b1f703ebc74ca64022ec109555d06.png

2 hours ago, rob213 said:

@Terminal Hi, very sorry for the delay. I was out.

Thank you for the workflow which I downloaded and installed.

- I am perplexed because although the although the workflow is enabled, the keyword defined and my typing it correctly in Alfred, it does not trigger your workflow.

2- concerning the text file, how could I modify the workflow so that a specific text file on my local drive (in ~/Documents/Alfred/Link Database.txt) is called up instead of a txt file buried inside Alfred ?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

image.png.da4b1f703ebc74ca64022ec109555d06.png

sorry I should’ve mentioned, you need to select configure Workflow from the Alfred Configuration Builder. It will allow you to set your file. 

after that the keyword should work. If not I’ll look at it shortly. 

3 hours ago, Terminal said:

you need to select configure Workflow from the Alfred Configuration Builder

I navigated to configuration builder → entered default value → checked with Preview → saved, but it still does not work (same result as above)

Very sorry to test your patience. thanks again

image.png.4d313c04362b094f46bd00d929350961.png

14 hours ago, Terminal said:

watch the gif in the repo.

I forgot to thank you for taking the time to make a GIF.

I would like to include in the workflow notes about some of the tips you gave me above. Is there a dedicated place somewhere is the workflow to do so ?

thank you

@Terminal @Stephen_C

Sorry to bother you both. A general question:

- how would I find the best and most up to date (and working) workflow for any specific app, for example Bear Notes ? I tend to just do a forum search and pick the latest one.

- I asked a question below one year after the initial post, but did not receive an answer. Short of eventually getting an answer, is there any other way to get an answer to my question ? It's a bit of a pain not to be able to create new Bear notes.

thanks very much

New Bear Alfred Workflow - Share your Workflows - Alfred App Community Forum

Just now, rob213 said:

how would I find the best and most up to date (and working) workflow for any specific app, for example Bear Notes ? I tend to just do a forum search and pick the latest one.

The Alfred Gallery is in early access currently and is the best place to find up-to-date, curated workflows. It is proposed that in due course there will be an RSS feed for the gallery. Of course, there will always be workflows that, for one reason or another, are not hosted on the gallery so a forum search may be useful too.

As to your question about a Bear workflow all you can really do is to keep an eye on the forum to see if anyone develops anything for Bear (unless you're tempted to dabble a little yourself!).

Stephen