how to delete alfred 4 when 2 versions (4 and 5) installed ?

Hello, I am using Alfred 5 and found that Alfred 4 is also present in my applications folder. May I just delete the alfred 4.app file or should I do a more extensive deletion, including folders and files in the application support folder, etc.

thanks in advance for your time and help

@Vero

Monterey 12.6.5

when I drag Alfred 4 from the applications folder into the trash I see the menu below.

do I uncheck all and check only the app ? I have no clue why I see "application deleter" when I have none. Thank you

image.thumb.png.04c2bbe9607fce0f37e2a45fb58126b1.png

Edited by rob213

@rob213 To my knowledge, what you're seeing isn't a built-in macOS feature, so it's likely a third-party app you've installed that overrides normal Finder behaviour.

If you must use that tool, uncheck everything except Alfred 4.

thank you again @Vero

I switched for Pathfinder and Forklift as a file manager. After doing some testing, I found that this behaviour is native to Forklift when you drag and drop into the trash bin.

Edited by rob213
  • 5 months later...

Help!

I didn't know this. I used cleanMyMac to remove Alfred 4 (and probably some dependent files), and almost everything has been failing since. I re-installed Alfred 5 completely fresh and all the advanced workflows (1password, etc.) are failing.

Oh no - now what??

Welcome to the forum.

We need you to be a little more explicit so that we can help.

• Have you lost any workflows that you previously created using Alfred 4? If so you'll need to recover them from a backup.
  • How exactly are your "advanced workflows” failing? Please open the debugger in Alfred, run one of the workflows with which you have problems and copy and paste the output of the debugger into a new post in this thread.

Stephen

@Rachelle While answering @Stephen_C's questions, I have two suggestions:

• Check your Trash before emptying it: Most cleaner apps will move files there, so take out anything that contains the name Alfred and put them in a safe folder. Let us know what you found and we'll help you return these to the right location.
  • Let us know whether you used a sync service (e.g. Dropbox) or Time Machine on your Mac as this will be the easiest way to recover your old preferences.

I don't recommend app cleaners as they often blindly remove files that are essential on your Mac.