Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

Thank you for the video, @mimmordino, the steps were really clear.

Unfortunately, I still cannot reproduce.

Only two things I can think for you to do:

1. Go into your workflow’s directory and update youtube-dl. If you’re comfortable with a terminal, cd into the workflow’s directory and python youtube-dl --update.
  2. Open the debugger, and see if there’re any errors there.

@vitor

Ok so I updated youtube-dl to 2017.04.11 and tried again. Still no dice. Below is the output of the debugger.

Just so I make sure I"m not missing anything...I copy the URL, I open Alfred (alt-space), type dv, hold down the command key, and while I hold it down, hit enter. Correct? That should work? I don't need anything else installed except for Alfred and the DownVid workflow?

[2017-04-11 18:26:10][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version='1.0'?><items>
    <item uid='Regular Download' arg='/var/folders/rr/kc2qhbx51h79zc1j3n8g4_hr0000gn/T/downvid.deUJ3aRD' valid='yes'>
        <title>DownVid</title>
        <subtitle>Downloads the video to your Desktop</subtitle>
        <icon>icon.png</icon>
    </item>
</items>
[2017-04-11 18:26:21][input.scriptfilter] Processing output of 'action.script' with arg '/var/folders/rr/kc2qhbx51h79zc1j3n8g4_hr0000gn/T/downvid.deUJ3aRD'

and the file downvid.deUJ3aRD contains:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYdlRfkGTyE&t=23s&list=PLpPcpNLD9TFV2qGQuZG8zPs6F4daOrY_K&index=1%

14 hours ago, mimmordino said:

Not holding down command saves the file to Downloads. Holding down command saves the file to TestDownload

No, that is not what’s supposed to happen at all. The watchlist configuration is to interact with another workflow. Pressing ⌘ is a different option. Since you don’t seem to be using WatchList, that shouldn’t even have any effect on anything. Which means you fond a bug. It was so specific, the only time it’d happen would be in this precise situation.

Thank you. It’s already fixed (should be, please download the new version and test).

Edited by deanishe
Markdown -> BBCode

Update.

Slightly improved information when downloading, a new icon, and a ton of code improvements. Switched to using ruby and JSON for Script Filters; detects WatchList better and if you don’t have it but tell to add to it, it’ll do a normal download; creates less temporary files; has a more streamlined process for adding from external sources, uses _sharedresources.

If you use the Services, for this version you must reinstall them (run :downvidservices twice).

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days (15 or less) and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

I just ran the Alfred debugger and I see this message:

Starting debug for 'DownVid'

[2017-05-13 09:13:54][ERROR: action.script] youtube-dl does not work on Python 2.7.10 and prior. You will need to have a more recent version in your PATH.

I haven't changed anything on my system so I'm a bit confused.

56 minutes ago, thinkfilm said:

I just ran the Alfred debugger and I see this message:

Starting debug for 'DownVid'

[2017-05-13 09:13:54][ERROR: action.script] youtube-dl does not work on Python 2.7.10 and prior. You will need to have a more recent version in your PATH.

I haven't changed anything on my system so I'm a bit confused.

Recent versions of youtube-dl no longer worked with the default Python. It seems that has been fixed, now. Download the just updated version of this workflow, and you’ll be good to go.

Update.

It now uses notificator for notifications. This is the first workflow I’m (re)adding it to, so please tell me if something goes wrong (if you get any error or stop receiving notifications). If everything works fine, I’d also be interested in knowing.

Main reasons for the switch to notificator:

• I’m the developer, so I have greater control over fixing issues and adding features.
  • Easier and faster to customise (it’s built with this feature as one of its major goals).
  • New versions of terminal-notifier are no longer a good choice to include in Workflows since it moved from an app bundle to a CLI tool, meaning that to properly use a custom icon (which was the whole point), a new empty app has to be included as well, to fake the sender.
  • Uses less space than terminal-notifier, due to the new restriction.
  • Requires less files than terminal-notifier, due to the new restriction, meaning more organisation.
  • It’s unencumbered by licenses, so all pieces of the Workflow are once again public domain, which is important to me: that other users can use the code without having to worry about that.

Also updated to the latest (yet unreleased) version of OneUpdater.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days (15 or less) and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

Edited by vitor
4 hours ago, TeamCro said:

Is there a possibility to download the audio file instead of the video?

It is technically possible, but it’s not a feature I plan to add. Few people want it, and it requires ffmpeg or avconv to be installed. The workflow currently has support for those but it’s strictly optional: if you have them it takes advantage of their features, if you don’t it does not.

The first posts in this thread go into that discussion.

19 hours ago, vitor said:

It is technically possible, but it’s not a feature I plan to add. Few people want it, and it requires ffmpeg or avconv to be installed. The workflow currently has support for those but it’s strictly optional: if you have them it takes advantage of their features, if you don’t it does not.

The first posts in this thread go into that discussion.

What do I need u to give, to make it for me :)

On 22/05/2017 at 7:05 PM, vitor said:

Few people want it

The lack of audio support is actually the main reason I don't use DownVid and/or WatchList. If I'm at the computer, I generally just stream the video in mpv, and most of the stuff I save, I actually want as audio, so I can listen while I'm out and about.

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

The lack of audio support is actually the main reason I don't use DownVid and/or WatchList. If I'm at the computer, I generally just stream the video in mpv, and most of the stuff I save, I actually want as audio, so I can listen while I'm out and about.

Listening to music out of Youtube is the main reason and not just the video ??????

Awesome download tool, but it has choked on me after six months.

Running Alfred 3 on Sierra, I am getting the following notification

for any streaming video across three browsers (Safari, Chrome, FireFox). 

Please advise.