Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

On 2017-5-30 at 3:24 PM, deanishe said:

The lack of audio support is actually the main reason I don't use DownVid and/or WatchList.

Why does WatchList factor in? It can be used completely independently and can handle any file type you throw at it (and even URLs).

2 hours ago, dwrh said:

I am getting the following notification

What notification?

2 hours ago, dwrh said:

Please advise.

You gave no information I can work with. Please read and follow the following post to make a good bug report:

Edited by vitor
On 06/06/2017 at 2:53 AM, vitor said:

Why does WatchList factor in? It can be used completely independently and can handle any file type you throw at it (and even URLs).

Because the downloader it integrates with doesn't support fetching audio instead of video. I already have browser bookmarks and Pinboard for saving URLs for later (both of which sync to my other devices), and an unwatched tag for files.

Instead, I save the URLs to Pinboard with a download-audio tag, and pipe my bookmarks through jq to youtube-dl.

• 2 weeks later...

@Karl Klammer I can’t reproduce. Works fine here. Are you using the Workflow for Alfred 2 or 3?

As for the comment, to make the modification open the Workflow in the Finder and then open the downvid file in a text editor. Search for the file_format line, near the top, and change the text in the parenthesis.

@vitor Thanks for the quick response. I'm using Alfred 3.4 on macOS 10.12.5. But as far as I understand this workflow, the earlier discussed changes should not be necessary to download the "best" quality (which mostly is >720p)? Is it possible to provide a log or something that might help to understand why the download decides to choose the lower resolution version?

3 hours ago, Karl Klammer said:

I'm using Alfred 3.4 on macOS 10.12.5.

What I wanted was the Workflow version.

3 hours ago, Karl Klammer said:

Is it possible to provide a log or something that might help to understand why the download decides to choose the lower resolution version?

No.

Bottom line, this Workflow calls youtube-dl and tells it to do download the best mp4 version it finds. What the comment states is that apparently Youtube (or youtube-dl) considers 720p the best version, no matter what. Make the change I told you and you’ll fix that.

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing the same issue as @Karl Klammer, in that DownVid wants to download the 720p version even though a 1080p one is available. What is curious is that this only seems to be be happening on one of my Macs. Any idea why this is so?

And now a really silly question. Does this Workflow require youtube-dl to be installed independently? One the first Mac I didn't need to install it but on the one which picks 720p versions nothing happened till I installed youtube-dl.

23 minutes ago, Anjadekar said:

I am experiencing the same issue as @Karl Klammer, in that DownVid wants to download the 720p version even though a 1080p one is available.

Again, the issue lies with youtube-dl. It needs to be fixed on that end. They have at least one issue on their tracker, about this.

23 minutes ago, Anjadekar said:

Does this Workflow require youtube-dl to be installed independently?

No. If you have an independently-installed youtube-dl, it tries to detect it and use that. If you don’t, it installs it on the data directory of the Workflow, so as to not mess up anything on your system.

Edited by vitor
5 minutes ago, Anjadekar said:

Could you please tell me how to completely uninstall the version of youtube-dl that comes with DownVid?

Delete ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Workflow Data/com.vitorgalvao.alfred._sharedresources, if it exists.

But that’s the last location it looks for. I’ve designed it precisely so it does not affect your system.

• 5 weeks later...

Update.

Only continue after xattr is set. This is a technical change that’ll make no difference to you, but will make a difference for the revamped version of WatchList (unreleased yet, but close to ready, currently in testing).

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days (15 or less) and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Vitor

Great Workflow, and it's working great upon first install. I must be missing something in the instructions for extracting the audio though. When I get to step 5 I see the following: https://d.pr/v/HJ0EZG. I guess I should be adding the ...

export PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

...to that first file where the only other line is ./downvid "${1}"

Let me know if that's right.

And second, I don't see anything noting "...a few lines under getfile() {)"

Please let me know what I'm missing, thanks!

ETA:

rMBP running GM of High Sierra (10.14)

Workflow version 1.21.14

FFMPEG installed (which ffmpeg: /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg)

Edited by roccitman
Forgot to add environment info :)
  • 8 months later...

Update.

Added support to download audio. It also works with downloading a full playlist as audio, but it does not include and option to add to WatchList automatically due to a limitation in youtube-dl where getting the filename for audio is not accurate.

Also changed the way downloading a playlist works. It now downloads everything into it’s own directory. It’s more organised and interfaces better with WatchList.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

• vitor changed the title to DownVid — Download media from popular sources

Awesome work!

By the way, is it possible to make "DownVid" service appear anywhere on youtube and not only when right-clicking on the address bar while playing the video?

For example, it would be great to be able to download the video by right-clicking the text/thumbnail (link) anywhere on youtube (home, user uploads, suggestions etc)

Thanks!

YouTube ? 2018-06-16 22-42-06.jpg

2 hours ago, valentinjesse said:

is it possible to make "DownVid" service appear anywhere on youtube and not only when right-clicking on the address bar while playing the video?

It’s not only on the address bar. It’s on any text that is a raw URL.

It’s not possible to do what you ask, no (I’d also like that). macOS Services understand the text itself that you have selected, but have no way (that I’m aware of) of understanding it’s a hyperlink in a browser and grab its HTML content for parsing.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

for some reason it stop working after the workflow update... damn!

You’ll need to be more specific. “It stopped working” doesn’t help to debug the issue. What command did you run? With which URL? What was the debugger output (set to “All Information”)? Which Workflow version? Which macOS version? Which Alfred version?

• 2 months later...

Recently, I’m getting "The url is invalid" messages on a lot of YouTube videos when I use the dv command – but not for all of them.

For example, this one works fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0

… while here, it says that the url is invalid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blkcXkNyDfE

It’s reproducible, i.e. I’ve tried the videos that don’t work one or two days later, getting the same result again.

In the web browser, all the videos work, and I’m not using any plugin to get rid of the "not available in your country" message.

Any ideas?

Downvid v1.22.1, Alfred v3.7 [938], OS X 10.11.6.

• 1 month later...