Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Lucagfc said:

I know that this can be a really stupid question but I've installed this amazing workflow (thanks for the good work) but when I open Alfred and type "da" or "dv" Alfred shows me app and files but not the workflow. What I'm missing?!? Thank you

I'd like to learn this too, please 🙏

Hi, may I ask a simple usage question:

I just found and downloaded this workflow last night. I also installed yt-dlp. After installation, I can start download by typing "dv" in Alfred window and it seems a download will start. But the downloaded mp4 file get deleted right after  download finished. This happened every time.

So I chose a very long youtube video to test. After select the video with the dv command and my download folder window opened, I could see the download started. I could also watch the progress of the download with the "dp" command. When the download finished (that the download percentage shows 100%), the file name in the folder was updated to the final file name, from xxxx.mp4.part4 to xxxx.mp4, for example. But then the file got removed.

I also tested download with "yt-dlp" from command line. It worked fine.

It seems I may missed some configuration? I am on MACOS 11.6 on a Macbook Pro 2018. Thanks.

Edited by enlighten
4 hours ago, vitor said:

@ileonemil Please follow these instructions, as the first pot asks. 

Thank you and sorry. These are the following:

• Brew command not found (I'm on MacBook Pro M1)
  • v21.13
  • Alfred 4.6.1
  • MacOS Monterey 12.0.1
  • Every link since the problem is the keyword
  • [09:47:59.384] Logging Started...
    [09:50:36.934] DownMedia[Script Filter] Queuing argument ''
    [09:50:37.151] DownMedia[Script Filter] Script with argv '' finished
    [09:50:37.153] ERROR: DownMedia[Script Filter] Code 1: Did not find "yt-dlp". You will need to install it yourself. Homebrew recommended.

Alternatively, download an older version of this Workflow without the dependency: https://github.com/vitorgalvao/alfred-workflows/tree/c0d9c9313857676997e6e05d9dda65cfa5fcda6a/DownMedia

Keep in mind that is no longer supported. It will continue to work until the (discontinued) youtube-dl no longer does.

The debugger message you just posted explains the issue in plain English. The top post expands:

On 4/17/2013 at 12:26 AM, vitor said:

You will have to install yt-dlp yourself because it has dependencies which are impractical to fulfil on a clean macOS installation. The simplest way is to install Homebrew and brew install yt-dlp.

Those instructions are also in the About section of the Workflow itself. It’s important to read those.

Just now, vitor said:

The debugger message you just posted explains the issue in plain English. The top post expands:

Those instructions are also in the About section of the Workflow itself. It’s important to read those.

Okay I downloaded yt-dlp by curl

Now I have an error occurring with every YouTube video "url is invalid"

13 minutes ago, ileonemil said:

Okay I downloaded yt-dlp by curl

That won’t work. If it were that simple, that’s what I would’ve done in the Workflow. That’s also explained in the quoted text.

Installing via Homebrew is the only method I support.

• 1 month later...

This is a great package! Been using youtube-dl so far through Automator, but this takes it up several notches. 

Question: For audio I've decided to go with .m4a. In case this can't be had in original form, will the workflow pick the best available audio then or convert what it downloads to .m4a?

9 hours ago, nesdroc said:

Question: For audio I've decided to go with .m4a. In case this can't be had in original form, will the workflow pick the best available audio then or convert what it downloads to .m4a?

Probably convert it. It will do whatever yt-dlp does, so check its documentation. I don’t use the audio functionality; I’ve added it by popular demand.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mike Outram said:

If I'm downloading the audio of two things where the filenames are the same, then the second thing won't download.

That’s a pretty niche use case. I’ll need the real links to investigate alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...