Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

Major Update.

• Changed name to DownMedia.
  • Instead of a single dv option for video and audio, now there are separate dv and da.
  • In addition to downloading the clipboard URL, added an option to download the URL from the frontmost browser tab.
  • Enhanced checks: if no URL is available, even in the clipboard, download can’t be actioned.
  • dvp to see the progress has been changed to dp.
  • Interface has received modifications in general, regarding how information is presented.
  • There’s no longer a separate DownVid + WatchList option. There is instead a add_to_watchlist Workflow Environment Variable that controls the default behaviour (toggle on a case-by-case basis with ⌥).
  • External Triggers have been modified to only take a URL as argument.
  • External Triggers have more descriptive names.
  • Added a Hotkey to auto-download the URL from the frontmost tab.
  • Services have been updated to reflect the new options.
  • Removed watchlist_download_dir Workflow Environment Variable, since that can be handled by the latter’s move_on_add.

Check the top post for a streamlined view (with screenshots) of the new behaviour.

To update, download the latest version (new URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

If after a week an update hasn’t triggered, please let me know.

1 hour ago, vitor said:

@eluxmaxel @roccitman To bring youtube-dl up to date, try:

"${HOME}/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.vitorgalvao.alfred._sharedresources/bin/youtube-dl" --update || /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl --update

Thanks V! Is this two separate commands or can you dump the whole thing into Terminal at once? And how long does it take to run?

24 minutes ago, roccitman said:

Thanks V! Is this two separate commands or can you dump the whole thing into Terminal at once? And how long does it take to run?

It's one command. How long it takes to run depends on how fast your Internet connection is, but it shouldn't take very long at all. Less than a minute, most likely.

18 minutes ago, roccitman said:

Hmm, something's wrong then. I left it for almost an hour and it doesn't seem to complete..

:~ ra$ /ra/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.vitorgalvao.alfred._sharedresources/bin/youtube-dl" --update

>

That's not a valid command. You have one double quote, and the shell is waiting for you to add a second, closing one.

Copy and paste the command exactly as Vítor posted it above.

Edited by deanishe
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, deanishe said:

It looks like the command you entered was incorrect. I can't say for sure because I can't see the command.

I did the same thing just copied and pasted it and added in the quote 
"{HOME}/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.vitorgalvao.alfred._sharedresources/bin/youtube-dl" --update || /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl --update

Here's the output if it helps...

[20:35:34.404] DownMedia[Script Filter] Queuing argument ''
[20:35:35.148] DownMedia[Script Filter] Script with argv '' finished
[20:35:35.152] DownMedia[Script Filter] {"items":[{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): true 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): false","valid":true,"variables":{"media_type":"video","add_to_watchlist":true,"full_playlist":false},"mods":{"cmd":{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): true 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): true","variables":{"media_type":"video","Add_to_watchlist":true,"full_playlist":true}},"alt":{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): false 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): false","variables":{"media_type":"video","add_to_watchlist":false,"full_playlist":false}},"cmd+alt":{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): false 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): true","variables":{"media_type":"video","add_to_watchlist":false,"full_playlist":true}}},"title":"(27) Ends & Odds: DIY Bandsaw Guides & More! - YouTube","arg":"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIAC1zyYGrc"}]}
[20:35:37.042] DownMedia[Script Filter] Processing complete
[20:35:37.054] DownMedia[Script Filter] Passing output 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIAC1zyYGrc' to Run Script
[20:35:43.469] ERROR: DownMedia[Run Script] WARNING: Unable to extract video title
ERROR: This video is unavailable.
[20:35:43.475] DownMedia[Run Script] Processing complete
[20:35:43.476] DownMedia[Run Script] Passing output '' to Run Script

4 hours ago, eluxmaxel said:

"{HOME}/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.vitorgalvao.alfred._sharedresources/bin/youtube-dl" --update || /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl --update

That's not correct. it should be:

"${HOME}/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.vitorgalvao.alfred._sharedresources/bin/youtube-dl" --update || /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl --update

You are missing the $

9 hours ago, deanishe said:

That's not correct. it should be:

You are missing the $

it said its up to date

On 1/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, vitor said:

@eluxmaxel @roccitman To bring youtube-dl up to date, try:

Hey Vitor. youtube-dl is updated. but still getting the url failed. Here's the debugging output if it helps.

[08:35:51.138] Logging Started...
[08:36:02.624] DownMedia[Script Filter] Queuing argument ''
[08:36:03.129] DownMedia[Script Filter] Script with argv '' finished
[08:36:03.133] DownMedia[Script Filter] {"items":[{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): true 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): false","valid":true,"variables":{"media_type":"video","add_to_watchlist":true,"full_playlist":false},"mods":{"cmd":{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): true 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): true","variables":{"media_type":"video","Add_to_watchlist":true,"full_playlist":true}},"alt":{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): false 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): false","variables":{"media_type":"video","add_to_watchlist":false,"full_playlist":false}},"cmd+alt":{"subtitle":"Add to WatchList (⌥): false 𐄁 Full Playlist (⌘): true","variables":{"media_type":"video","add_to_watchlist":false,"full_playlist":true}}},"title":"(29) 15 Scary Moments of Strange Things Found On the Road! - YouTube","arg":"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDDmGua5c8"}]}
[08:36:04.711] DownMedia[Script Filter] Processing complete
[08:36:04.770] DownMedia[Script Filter] Passing output 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDDmGua5c8' to Run Script
[08:36:09.906] ERROR: DownMedia[Run Script] WARNING: Unable to extract video title
ERROR: This video is unavailable.
[08:36:09.951] DownMedia[Run Script] Processing complete
[08:36:09.952] DownMedia[Run Script] Passing output '' to Run Script

Can't extract title? Do I have a funky setting done wrong?

Thank you for fielding the questions, @deanishe. I was away this weekend, so it’s a big help to come back and have some of the problems already resolved.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:36 AM, deanishe said:

perhaps because you have a required tool (e.g. ffmpeg) missing on your machine.

That shouldn’t be an issue because I’m using the same method to ensure youtube-dl and ffmpeg are in the machine (i.e. if they’re not, get them).

@eluxmaxel Your youtube-dl didn’t update. Try brew upgrade youtube-dl. If that doesn’t work, I don’t know how you installed youtube-dl on your machine (that’s the one being used) and you’ll have to figure that out yourself.

Also, you haven’t given the link that’s failing, so there’s no way I can test.

@roccitman No idea what’s wrong in your case and I can’t reproduce. For me to be look further into it, you’ll have to figure out what’s different in your setup.

46 minutes ago, vitor said:

Thank you for fielding the questions, @deanishe. I was away this weekend, so it’s a big help to come back and have some of the problems already resolved.

@roccitman No idea what’s wrong in your case and I can’t reproduce. For me to be look further into it, you’ll have to figure out what’s different in your setup.

Yes, thanks to @deanishe for helping out!

@vitor I upgraded youtube-dl again and I'm getting farther in the process now. Gathering more data for you.

3 hours ago, vitor said:

Because I’m distributing the Workflow for free at the expense of my time and keep getting requests for help with no actionable information, I’m making this post so I can link to it.

If you have an issue with this Workflow, I need from you:

• The terminal output from the command (paste it exactly; it’s a single line): brew upgrade youtube-dl || youtube-dl --update || "${HOME}/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.vitorgalvao.alfred._sharedresources/bin/youtube-dl" --update.
  • The Workflow version you’re on.
  • The Alfred version you’re on.
  • The macOS version you’re on.
  • At least one link that is failing.
  • The debugger output, set to All Information.

Requests for help that I can’t reproduce and fail to provide the requested information will not receive a follow up. Reports that do provide the required information are welcome and will be looked at as soon as possible. I thank in advance to those that make good bug reports.

@vitor Thank you so much for this, and all of your help over the years. I will endeavor to follow your instructions!