Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

For those of you that modified this to download the audio, you should check the instructions again. They’re now not only shorter, you also don’t need to open a terminal for the code to run (that is, I’d say, a significant improvement). You don’t have to repeat the lengthier steps (installing XCode’s CLI tools, homebrew and ffmpeg), naturally, but I think the other ones are worth redoing (i.e., start on step 6). I’d also recommend you download the workflow again and work from there, as the changes are now so minimal, it’ll be less work than trying to work backwards from the current configuration.

Edited by Vítor
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you tried the updated instructions? You should only need to start at step 6, and it’s pretty straightforward, now, just one small addition and one small substitution. That said, f you still find it confusing, please let me know (so I can make the instructions better), and get the version you want (link available for seven days).

It’s actually a good thing that you’re redoing it, since WatchList was updated to work a different way, recently, and this way you’ll get the new compatible version.

Edited by Vítor

Have you tried the updated instructions? You should only need to start at step 6, and it’s pretty straightforward, now, just one small addition and one small substitution. That said, f you still find it confusing, please let me know (so I can make the instructions better), and get the version you want (link available for seven days).

It’s actually a good thing that you’re redoing it, since WatchList was updated to work a different way, recently, and this way you’ll get the new compatible version.

I just did ole boy. Dang, it's nice not to have it open terminal. Thanks a lot!

the update seems to have broken the audio, i can't use audio and video code or just the audio anymore :(

Do you mind making a complete separate version for audio? That would save me some time from trying to figure this out lol.

I do not intend to make and maintain a separate version with marginal different behaviour, specially since there are easy instructions, made simpler with each revision, exactly for that purpose. Like I said before, when you already have the tools installed, you only need to start at step 6, and it’s pretty straightforward, just one small addition and one small substitution.

The reason I don’t include that feature by default, is that it would mean bundling ffmpeg with the workflow, and I choose not to do that due to its license. Not that its license is necessarily incompatible with mine, it’s not, but I made the conscious choice of making the workflows on that github repo, together with every resource in them, public domain.

In another post I briefly touched on why, for this reason, I decide to not include software with more restrictive licenses. I want anyone that uses this code to be able to take any part, at any time, and use it in any way, for whatever purpose they so choose, without having to think about it.

You could argue I could simply include the command for it, and not the ffmpeg executable, but that, to me, does not seem like it’d provide a good user experience.

I can bundle youtube-dl because its license is essentially the same as mine (do whatever you want).

Fortunately, what this also means, is that you (or anyone else) are free to get this workflow, bundle ffmpeg with it (and/or include the relevant commands), and redistribute it.

I’ve uploaded the version that gets both the video and audio (available for seven days), and removed from it the updating options, so it won’t automatically replace yours again. In the future, however, you’ll have to do the command substitution yourself (or keep that version); it really is very straightforward, and if there’s any step you find to be difficult to follow, I’d be glad to help, and possibly even update the instructions to make it clearer.

I do not intend to make and maintain a separate version with marginal different behaviour, specially since there are easy instructions, made simpler with each revision, exactly for that purpose. Like I said before, when you already have the tools installed, you only need to start at step 6, and it’s pretty straightforward, just one small addition and one small substitution.

The reason I don’t include that feature by default, is that it would mean bundling ffmpeg with the workflow, and I choose not to do that due to its license. Not that its license is necessarily incompatible with mine, it’s not, but I made the conscious choice of making the workflows on that github repo, together with every resource in them, public domain.

In another post I briefly touched on why, for this reason, I decide to not include software with more restrictive licenses. I want anyone that uses this code to be able to take any part, at any time, and use it in any way, for whatever purpose they so choose, without having to think about it.

You could argue I could simply include the command for it, and not the ffmpeg executable, but that, to me, does not seem like it’d provide a good user experience.

I can bundle youtube-dl because its license is essentially the same as mine (do whatever you want).

Fortunately, what this also means, is that you (or anyone else) are free to get this workflow, bundle ffmpeg with it (and/or include the relevant commands), and redistribute it.

I’ve uploaded the version that gets both the video and audio (available for seven days), and removed from it the updating options, so it won’t automatically replace yours again. In the future, however, you’ll have to do the command substitution yourself (or keep that version); it really is very straightforward, and if there’s any step you find to be difficult to follow, I’d be glad to help, and possibly even update the instructions to make it clearer.

Thanks, i also got it to work by changing some lines of code as you stated in page 1. I forgot to do the export path part my bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Vitor

I can make youtube-dl work via the command line but not via your awesome workflow.

I installed youtube-dl via homebrew. "brew list" show it is installed.

I am using the latest version of the workflow and didn't add any modification to the script.

You don't need to install it, it comes bundled with the script (as a small update, I just updated it to the latest version). Could you describe the steps you're taking (in the most detailed manner possible), so I can have an idea of what might be happening?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update.

It now uses terminal-notifier. This is a departure from my previous stance of having the workflow work completely with public domain code, triggered by the fact that the alternative I’ve built sometimes shows you a warning that interrupts you, due to not being digitally signed, as I currently do not have an Apple Mac Developer account.

I believe I’ve found a somewhat satisfactory way to handle the issues I had with this, though. All non-public-domain code sits right at the top, under a “_licensed” directory. This way it’ll be dead-simple to know what you can use freely and what is somewhat restricted. I’m not completely satisfied with this solution, and if I ever find a suitable way to remove terminal-notifier and make the entirety of the code in the workflow public domain (like someone willing to take notificator and signing it), that’s what I’ll do.

This also means that I can now possibly include ffmpeg for the audio extraction, but there are already so many workflows to download videos that I’m not sure it’s worth it (I still use mine mainly for the ability to add downloads directly to WatchList), but if there is any demand for that feature, I’ll look into it.

Edited by Vítor
  • 1 month later...

Why not just sign up for one? It'll let you get past those annoying messages for those who have the default security settings. Besides, acquiring one is free. Here's the link.

I do have a free one (got it mainly to get Xcode’s CLI tools without needing the whole app). Unfortunately, although that gives you access to a bunch of resources, it does not let you codesign apps without paying (which is the problem, here). Since I’m not (at least currently), heavily invested in developing for OS X in that sense, I can’t really justify the cost for such a single app, specially when there is an alternative.

If anyone is interested in doing it, however, I’d be happy to facilitate the process. I only ask that the app remain in public domain form. Of course, being public domain you can do whatever you want, but if someone’s going to apply a restrictive license to it, then there’d be no point to it.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I added an xattr call to my DownVid workflow to save source URL into the downloaded file - maybe you will find it useful too:

xattr -w 'com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms' '<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0"><array><string>'${link}'</string></array></plist>' ${filename}
Edited by fns720