Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

• 2 weeks later...

great. works like charm. thanks a lot Vítor.

This is a great workflow Vítor thanks for the good work.

Thank you both.

There’s also an update, it now handles multiple downloads better. Those of you that made modifications, please post a reply if you need any help implementing them in this new version.

Update.

Further improvements with handling multiple files. The finishing message is also better, as it now tells you the name of the downloaded video.

It should also function better for WatchList users.

Edited by Vítor
Hi Vitor! Really love the workflow, thanks for sharing! It is working perfectly for me :)

I would be interested in changing the workflow to only download .mp4 files - I'm running the newest version (from today). Could you tell me what I have to do to make the change for the current version?

Thanks and cheers, Anna

Hi Vitor! Really love the workflow, thanks for sharing! It is working perfectly for me :)

I would be interested in changing the workflow to only download .mp4 files - I'm running the newest version (from today). Could you tell me what I have to do to make the change for the current version?

Thanks and cheers, Anna

It’s very similar to the previous solution, only now you’ll look for the line

python youtube-dl --quiet --output "${downdir}/%(title)s.%(ext)s" "${link}"

and change it to be

python youtube-dl --quiet -f 22/18/17 --output "${downdir}/%(title)s.%(ext)s" "${link}"
Edited by Vítor

Hi

I just can't get this to work.

For some reason, despite being the administrator, when I run the terminal command to install youtube-dl, it prompts me for a password.  I put in my admin password but it does not let me go further as it says it is the wrong password!

I then copied the file http://youtube-dl.org/downloads/2013.04.22/youtube-dl to my usr/bin folder but it is a document and not an unix file.  I realise that the workflow won't work without the file so I am stuck.

Can you help please???

Thanks

Andrew

It’s very similar to the previous solution, only now you’ll look for the line

python youtube-dl --quiet --output "${downdir}/%(title)s.%(ext)s" "${link}"

and change it to be

python youtube-dl --quiet -f 22/18/17 --output "${downdir}/%(title)s.%(ext)s" "${link}"

Thanks for the fast response, Vítor - everything works flawlessly! Awesome workflow :)

Thanks for the fast response, Vítor - everything works flawlessly! Awesome workflow :)

Thanks for sharing your workflow Vítor!  :)

It works great! (I'm using the "mp4 only" version)

Thank you both.

Hi

I just can't get this to work.

For some reason, despite being the administrator, when I run the terminal command to install youtube-dl, it prompts me for a password.  I put in my admin password but it does not let me go further as it says it is the wrong password!

I then copied the file http://youtube-dl.org/downloads/2013.04.22/youtube-dl to my usr/bin folder but it is a document and not an unix file.  I realise that the workflow won't work without the file so I am stuck.

Can you help please???

Thanks

Andrew

You mean the old post for getting audio? There was a permissions issue — I’ve updated the post, try with that one.

I did some tests, and while running it in the terminal works, running it from Alfred does not (for some reason it does not do the last step, the conversion).

So i followed the steps and i am having trouble. Basically, i tried doing the last step in terminal and Alfred and i just get an error saying "unknown url type".

So i followed the steps and i am having trouble. Basically, i tried doing the last step in terminal and Alfred and i just get an error saying "unknown url type".

That seems like an issue with the modifications to the workflow. Since that post is a bit old already (in the sense that the workflow has already suffered multiple modifications), may I take a look at yours, to try to diagnose the issue you’re having?

That seems like an issue with the modifications to the workflow. Since that post is a bit old already (in the sense that the workflow has already suffered multiple modifications), may I take a look at yours, to try to diagnose the issue you’re having?

Yeah i felt like i did something wrong on the workflow bit.

Here are some screenshots (hope this helps):

12974495.png

12974504.png

12974507.png

This is a great workflow, I was wondering though: is there a way to download only the audio from youtube, without first downloading the whole video & then discarding it?

There is not. This is due to the fact that youtube is not keeping an audio version you can download, so you have to download the video and extract it from there.

Yeah i felt like i did something wrong on the workflow bit.

From your screenshots, I see that you’re using the latest version, and that you’re also using WatchList, so I don’t want to break that functionality. I’ve updated the old post, so you can follow those instructions (the lengthy part you’ve probably already done). Following that, it should work how you want, please tell me how it goes.

You can also run

sudo rm "/usr/bin/youtube-dl"
Since you’ll be installing it another (better) way. Edited by Vítor

There is not. This is due to the fact that youtube is not keeping an audio version you can download, so you have to download the video and extract it from there.

From your screenshots, I see that you’re using the latest version, and that you’re also using WatchList, so I don’t want to break that functionality. I’ve updated the old post, so you can follow those instructions (the lengthy part you’ve probably already done). Following that, it should work how you want, please tell me how it goes.

You can also run

sudo rm "/usr/bin/youtube-dl"
Since you’ll be installing it another (better) way.

It says no such file or directory for that command.

It says no such file or directory for that command.

That means the problem was probably with the first command on the old explanation (it had a permissions issue I later made a correction to).

If you follow the new instructions, it should work.

That means the problem was probably with the first command on the old explanation (it had a permissions issue I later made a correction to).

If you follow the new instructions, it should work.

Well, i did it all over again and tried the last step in terminal and alfred. I actually did number 6 wrong and wasn't copying the run script into the terminal command. So i remedied that and still nothing.

Well, i did it all over again and tried the last step in terminal and alfred. I actually did number 6 wrong and wasn't copying the run script into the terminal command. So i remedied that and still nothing.

Alright, tested and working, here’s the workflow (version to keep both audio and video). The link expires in about two weeks.

If that still does not work for you, then it means one of the other steps is the problem, in which case please give me the output of

brew list
Edited by Vítor

Alright, tested and working, here’s the workflow (version to keep both audio and video). The link expires in about two weeks.

If that still does not work for you, then it means one of the other steps is the problem, in which case please give me the output of

brew list

I think you may have got the workflow file type wrong because i can't import into alfred.

So, do i type brew list in terminal?

I think you may have got the workflow file type wrong because i can't import into alfred.

It’s fine, it just got truncated for some reason. Simply rename it from “DownVid.alfredworkf” to “DownVid.alfredworflow”, and it’ll work.

It’s fine, it just got truncated for some reason. Simply rename it from “DownVid.alfredworkf” to “DownVid.alfredworflow”, and it’ll work.

it worked, I feel like crying with joy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

male19-male-crying-tears-smiley-emoticon

I also got it to work just extracting the audio only, today is a great day. One question though, how come the workflow makes an alert sound in terminal?

Edited by Ddyracer

it worked, I feel like crying with joy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I also got it to work just extracting the audio only, today is a great day. One question though, how come the workflow makes an alert sound in terminal?

Good news. Glad to know it’s working.

The alert sound goes off so much for so many reasons that I’m not even sure what it could be finding here (since the workflow “types” everything in the terminal, it’s probably a reaction to that). If you want to disable the sound (for everything in the terminal), go to Terminal → Preferences… → Settings → Advanced, and turn off Audible Bell. I’m definitely a bigger fan of Visual Bell, way less annoying.