New version available, please visit http://www.guiguan.net/redirections/Alfred-Forum-Uni-Call

Skype Call 2.0

An Alfred workflow to make Skype phone call to the phone number selected by Alfred's Contacts feature. If the Skype hasn't been opened yet, this workflow will open it and ensure it is online before starting the phone call. When making a phone call, this workflow won't change your Skype online status, and no annoying confirmation dialog box will be popped up.

The alternative url scheme skype:{query}?call approach is not able make a phone call when Skype hasn't been opened in some system environment, such as Mac OS X 10.8.3, and the alternative approach will cause the annoying confirmation dialog to be popped up every time when you try to make a phone call.

This workflow has been tested on Skype 6.3.0.602 and Alfred 2.0.3 (187).

Usage

type "call PHONE_NUMBER"

call +61 4 3333 3333
call 043333333

type "call SKYPE_USERNAME"

call echo123

Skype-Username.png

search for a contact, select a phone number or a Skype username and hit return

Apple-Contacts.png

Search-for-A-Contact.png

Select-A-Phone-Number.png

For details and how to download and install, please visit my project page on github: http://guiguan.github.com/Uni-Call/

Edited by guiguan

Thanks for creating this workflow, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. When I search for a contact's phone number in Alfred and press return, the phone number just gets copied to the clipboard.

When I type in "call phone_number" it dials the wrong phone number.

Thanks for creating this workflow, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. When I search for a contact's phone number in Alfred and press return, the phone number just gets copied to the clipboard.

Did you follow the instructions on this site

You have to change the custom actions to Skype Call in "Alfred Preferences > Features > Contacts". Please refer to the Installation guide.

What did you type in to make a Skype call? Please paste any string that doesn't work for you here. You can replace any digit to 1 for the sake of privacy.

Wow, this is great! 

One thing doesn't work for me: When I select a contact's Skype name, nothing happens. With a telephone number it works, and when I do ‘call USERNAME’ it does, too. 

Thanks anyway :)

Did you store the Skype username (which is found by opening the contacts profile, and it's on the FAT GREEN BUTTON) in the Skype IM field of your Contacts?

Skype-Username.png

Apple-Contacts.png

LOL, I was trying to generate those screenshots. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Did you store the Skype username (which is found by opening the contacts profile, and it's on the FAT GREEN BUTTON) in the Skype IM field of your Contacts?

LOL, I was trying to generate those screenshots. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Oh, thanks! :D

Yes, I think so, I did. The Skype thing is a custom label though, right? I couldn't find ‘Skype’ somewhere else to add as new information to a contact.

Image%202013.04.23%2003%3A03%3A26.png

Oh, thanks! :D

Yes, I think so, I did. The Skype thing is a custom label though, right? I couldn't find ‘Skype’ somewhere else to add as new information to a contact.

Image%202013.04.23%2003%3A03%3A26.png

No, it's not a custom field. If you go from the main menu Card > Add Field > Instant Message of Apple Contacts, on the right side of the newly added field, there should be a dropdown list, where you can select 'Skype' as the IM type.

• 5 years later...

Hi Guigan,

When I use your workflow, Skype wants to verify that the number I'm calling is "online". Any way to disable that in your workflow? I'm not looking to chat or facetime with anyone, just make regular phone calls via Skype. But the calls won't go through because I get messages that the numbers I'm calling aren't online. Even though I'm able to make those same calls with no problem when using Skype's regular "Dial Window".

197399581_ScreenShot2018-05-10at12_29_43PM.jpg.71b15b94b711576c5fa614ff7dc562a0.jpg1548074519_ScreenShot2018-05-10at12_29_34PM.thumb.jpg.38ee512c147be76c389a8bf0f9582a74.jpg

Edited by ninose17