Alfred Freezing

littleluce

I was using Alfred to eject an external hard drive, but when I begin typing "e" sometimes "ej", the Alfred window freezes before even loading all of the search results. I see the spinning rainbow wheel, and the window remains on top of all other windows. If I click outside of the window, I can use other programs behind the Alfred window (but the window is still covering part of my screen.) The rainbow wheel also appears when I hover over the Alfred menu bar icon. I opened my activity monitor to force quit the process, which clears the window.

HOWEVER, when I go back to my applications folder, I cannot open Alfred again! Finder gives me the error code -600. Underneath "Alfred 2" in my applications folder I saw "Alfred 2 (old version)", which did open successfully, after which I downloaded the newest update again. In trying to replicate the issue after reinstalling this update and everything happened exactly as I described the first time.

Since I've upgraded to Alfred version 2, I've noticed that there can be a significant delay when starting an Alfred search as I hear my external hard drives wake up when I call up Alfred, but it has never frozen like this until just recently.

I was running Alfred v2.0.3 (187) and Mac OS X 10.8.3. I have a screenshot of the window before I forced it to quit, but I wasn't sure how to upload it here.

UPDATE: after posting this, I realized that I am getting the same message when trying to open either version of Alfred 2 that I seem to have in my applications folder.

Edited by littleluce

I have a screenshot of the window before I forced it to quit, but I wasn't sure how to upload it here.

Upload it somewhere, like imgur, and copy the direct link to it.

Then, when editing the post click here

Cd256PY.png

And paste the link on the small window that appears.

Could you firstly restart your Mac, then disable any workflows you have installed and also disable the eject commands. Is the hanging still happening? If so, rebuild your OS X metadata from the shortcut in Alfred's Advanced prefs.

Let me know how you get on :)

It doesn't hang after I do all of that, so I turned all the settings back on. I think it's working again. There may have been a problem with my hardware—I called Apple and they had me repair my hard disk in disk utility.

If this happens again, do you have any other suggestions?

It doesn't hang after I do all of that, so I turned all the settings back on. I think it's working again. There may have been a problem with my hardware—I called Apple and they had me repair my hard disk in disk utility.

If this happens again, do you have any other suggestions?

I think Apple sounds right and if this happens again, you may need to contact them as it's outside of Alfred's control.