I don’t have a “Check for Updates” button

I’m poking around in some new-to-me bits of Alfred recently, and I think I’ve found a bug. Okay, let me come to the forums and report a bug, and at the top there’s a big important warning in red!

First, ensure you're always using the latest build (in Alfred's preferences > Update > Check for updates) before reporting an issue, as the issue may already be fixed.

Okay, let me do that first. I know I’ve seen and used the “Check for updates” button before, so I know where I’m looking!

But that button doesn’t seem to be there for me today! See attached screenshot – I think it appears in the lower right-hand corner normally?

Some more detailed notes:

• What was I doing when the issue happened? Open Alfred Preferences (⌥+space to get the search bar, then ⌘+, to open preferences). Then click on “Update” in the sidebar.
  • Can I replicate the issue? Yes, this happens even if I restart Alfred, and it’s on three different Macs!
  • I’ve attached a screenshot.
  • Alfred version & build number: Alfred 5.5 [2257]
  • macOS version: Sonoma 14.4.1 and Ventura 13.6.6. It reproduces on both machines.

In case it makes a difference, I do have automatic updates enabled. The issue recurs if I disable that checkbox and restart Alfred, or if I switch to pre-releases.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 13.35.12.png

Edited by alexwlchan
tighten wording

@alexwlchan Thanks for highlighting this, I've updated the text in the Bug Report forum header for clarity:

First, ensure you're always using the latest build (open Alfred's preferences to the Update tab to automatically check for updates) before reporting an issue, as the issue may already be fixed.

As for the "Check for updates...", you might be thinking of the item under the bowler hat in the menu bar, which opens the Update tab.

There's no "Check for updates" button in the preferences as opening the Update tab automatically checks for updates. If there is an update, you'll see a button in the bottom right to download and install the latest update.

Hope that clarifies things :)

Cheers,
Vero

6 hours ago, Vero said:

If there is an update, you'll see a button in the bottom right to download and install the latest update.

Ah, that’s what I’m thinking of! I never go to the Updates tab except when there’s an update waiting for me, so I’m used to it being there, and I was confused when it wasn’t today. 😅

Thanks for explaining!