Workflow names in Comment field (using Hazel)

I was under the impression that you could even change the folder name to a custom name that's descriptive - like using the uid for the folder name instead of the nondescript user.workflow.alphanumeric.on.steroids.

Could be wrong, I would try it out but with my luck I will screw something badly. Let me make a backup of my workflows when I have time and get back to you on that.

- Thanks a lot for this hazel script! I have been looking for ways to implement hazel and alfred and this can start my collection off. Do you mind if I post here any I work up, if I get them to work? I will post my ideas too in case others who can code want to try but wanna get your permission if that's okay before I steal your thread. Thanks again for sharing!

I was under the impression that you could even change the folder name to a custom name that's descriptive - like using the uid for the folder name instead of the nondescript user.workflow.alphanumeric.on.steroids.

Could be wrong, I would try it out but with my luck I will screw something badly. Let me make a backup of my workflows when I have time and get back to you on that.

- Thanks a lot for this hazel script! I have been looking for ways to implement hazel and alfred and this can start my collection off. Do you mind if I post here any I work up, if I get them to work? I will post my ideas too in case others who can code want to try but wanna get your permission if that's okay before I steal your thread. Thanks again for sharing!

No problem with me. I'll be very interested in what you come up with. I didn't want to mess around with the name in case it did screw things up, I manage to create enough problems without trying. :)

The only other Hazel rule I have for Alfred at the moment is to monitor my downloads folder and get Hazel to open any downloaded workflows with Alfred, then moving the download to trash, giving me a automatic install.

You should be able to do these things as well as add the comment name with Automator "Folder Actions", but I find Hazel a lot easier to use and more flexible.

• 2 years later...

You can. Most of mine are named after their bundle ID (because that's what my installer script uses—also unique, and much more descriptive than UUIDs).

I guess Andrew just went with using UUIDs because it's simple and he didn't expect people to go digging around in the workflows folder except via Show in Finder from Alfred Preferences.

Edited by deanishe