Uni Call [v6.031]: The missing universal audio, video call and text workflow for Alfred

Please download the new version. Special thanks to Djay for helping me haunt down the evil bug.

v4.21 (14/05/13)
  • Minor bug fixes: now handles spaces in POSIX path to the workflow. Before, those spaces could cause problem for Uni Call Basestation to launch Uni Call.
  • Minor bug fixes: Skype Call can now correctly generate notifications in Mac OS X Notification Centre.

@guiguan

I really use your workflow everyday at work in combination with Phone Amego and I love it.

I use two iPhones connected to Phone Amego. 1x iPhone 4S (business), 1x iPhone 5 (privat).

Do you see a way to use your workflow to tell what Phone should be used for a call.

i.e. callp <select the phone I want to call with>   ?

This would be awesome.. 

Thanks in advance for your reply..

@guiguan

I really use your workflow everyday at work in combination with Phone Amego and I love it.

I use two iPhones connected to Phone Amego. 1x iPhone 4S (business), 1x iPhone 5 (privat).

Do you see a way to use your workflow to tell what Phone should be used for a call.

i.e. callp <select the phone I want to call with>   ?

This would be awesome.. 

Thanks in advance for your reply..

Atm, Phone Amego doesn't provide a public API for third party softwares, like Uni Call, to control that. However, if you really want this functionality, you can email Phone Amego's author and suggest him to provide an option in its Url Scheme for selecting a device to use. Then, I can add it in Uni Call for you :)

I see. Would be great.

So I send a message to the developer of great Phone Amego to get in touch with us/you.  ;)

Dear Peter,

hope you are doing well.

I love to use Alfred V2 App for Mac with the lots of fantastic workflows people passionated made for it.
So there is also a great workflow called "Uni Call" from Developer Guiguan that works wonderful with your Phone Amego App.
Maybe you want to have a look at it. http://goo.gl/LyaAo
Anyway.. the developer is looking for a way to select different in Phone Amego connected phones. As we know Phone Amego doesn't provide a public API for third party softwares at the moment, like Uni Call, to control that.
Maybe there is a way for you to provide an option in its Url Scheme for selecting a device to use. http://goo.gl/qzNzJ

Maybe you are interested to join us in the forum and get in touch with Guiguan to make the wonderful Phone Amego App in combination with the the Alfred Uni Call Workflow even more fantastic.

Hope to hear from you.
All the best.

Daniel

Edited by DJay

Here we go, thanks to the quick and friendly reply from Peter.

Now it's up to you guiguan.  B)  :rolleyes:

>Hi Daniel,

>Thanks for writing.

>On May 15, 2013, at 6:25 AM, DJay wrote:

I love to use Alfred V2 App for Mac with the lots of fantastic workflows people passionated made for it.

So there is  also a great workflow called "Uni Call" from Developer Guiguan that works wonderful with you Phone Amego App.

Maybe you want to have a look at it. 

> I'm aware of "Uni Call" and mention it here:
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/appLaunchers.html

Anyway.. the developer is looking for a way to select different in Phone Amego connected phones.

As we know Phone Amego doesn't provide a public API for third party softwares at the moment, like Uni Call, to control that.

> Actually it does provide a URL parameter for this but it's not well documented.  The URL parameter you are looking for is 'device=phoneLabel'.
> Other Mac developers can request sample code as described here:  http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/developer.html
>  Although it uses Distributed Objects for IPC (Inter-Process Communication), the command format is to send URLs or parameter dictionaries.  The other options you can  > control are whether to alert (alert=yes or alert=no), and ask to send touchtones by using scheme 'touchtone:'.
You can also hangup, display caller ID, or send an SMS.

Maybe there is a way for you to provide an option in its Url Scheme for selecting a device to use. 

Maybe you are interested to join us in the forum and get in touch with Guiguan to make the wonderful Phone Amego App in combination with the the Alfred Uni Call Workflow even more fantastic.

> Guan wrote me earlier and we've had a good exchange.  I do check the forum from time-to-time, but it's better (from a selfish marketing point of view :-) if other users >recommend this solution.

>Thanks!

>- Peter

Edited by DJay

Love the workflow. I don't suppose it would be possible to add google voice to the functionality, would it?

Do we have a Google Voice client on Mac other than through Gmail web interface to dial out a Google Voice phone call?

Do we have a Google Voice client on Mac other than through Gmail web interface to dial out a Google Voice phone call?

There are a couple, but GrowlVoice is probably the most common. There's also a Chrome extension that does the same thing (and is free), but I don't imagine that would work for a workflow.  

There are a couple, but GrowlVoice is probably the most common. There's also a Chrome extension that does the same thing (and is free), but I don't imagine that would work for a workflow.  

I can integrate GrowlVoice with my workflow. What do you think?

Just read that Viber is available for Mac OS. Maybe you like to include it if possible?

Viber doesn't have a public api nor a URL scheme for Uni Call to use atm. So I am not able to add support for Viber at this stage.

BTW, I have done the SIP Call component. Will release to you guys soon during the weekend.

Hi everyone! Uni Call v5.0 is now available. Please upgrade now.

Important note: please manually remove directory ~/Library/Caches/net.guiguan.Uni-Call after the upgrade.

v5.0 (19/05/13)
  • Added SIP Call component
  • Added PushDialer Call component
  • Added GrowlVoice Call component
  • Update for Phone Amego Call: the user can select which bluetooth device to use ("callp TARGET /DEVICE_ALIAS_OR_DEVICE_LABEL") for making a phone call. The user can also assign an easy to remember alias to a complicated device label.
  • Now the user can completely enable/disable call components through "call --enable"/"call --disable". When a call component is disabled, its corresponding Alfred Preferences will be automatically removed; later when it is enabled again, its Alfred Preferences will then be automatically restored.
  • The thumbnail cache folder is now moved from ~/Library/Caches/net.guiguan.Uni-Call/thumbnails to ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/net.guiguan.Uni-Call/thumbnails, which ensures that Uni Call will be uninstalled with Alfred 2.
  • Added a persistent configuration file config.plist in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/net.guiguan.Uni-Call. The reason why this config.plist is not placed inside Uni Call workflow folder but in Workflow Data folder is to make sure that the user's configurations will stay unchanged after future workflow upgrades.

Hi Guiguan, thanks for the info and the new version 4.2. Works great on my machine!

One more request: I don't use Phone Amego but PushDialer. There is already a workflow for this but would be great to have all in one.

What do you think?

Great workflow! Thanks!

Possible to add also call with Telephone?

Hi Davide. How's going?

Now I have added both SIP and PushDialer to Uni Call. Please download and try them out. Bugs might exist. Please let me know. Hope you will like them! :)

Here we go, thanks to the quick and friendly reply from Peter.

Now it's up to you guiguan.  B)  :rolleyes:

Hey Djay. Now I have added the device selection feature for Phone Amego in Uni Call. You can use the following command to select a mobile device:

callp TARGET /Laurel-SG

You can find your device labels under Phone Amego Preferences:

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-19%20at%204.41.1

Manage Aliases for Device Labels

You can assign an easy to remember alias to a complicated device label. For example:

callp --map ip to "Guan's iPhone" yes

Then in the future you can make a bluetooth phone call through device "Guan's iPhone" as follows:

callp TARGET /ip

To remove the assigned alias:

callp --unmap ip yes
Edited by guiguan

Hey avk_tp. Now I have added GrowlVoice to Uni Call. Please go and test it out. Unfortunately, it seems we don't have Google Voice available in Australia, so I am not able to tell whether it works or not. Please let me know any problems. :)

WOW.. thanks for all this. This is awesome. Love it. Of course I have tried it directly. Works like charm.

And thanks to your good description here and on your site. It was easy to configure the aliases for my three connected devices. home mobile, office mobile and landline handset.

Thank you very much. You're a star.  B)   :lol:

Edited by DJay

WOW.. thanks for all this. This is awesome. Love it. Of course I have tried it directly. Works like charm.

And thanks to your good description here and on your site. It was easy to configure the aliases for my three connected devices. home mobile, office mobile and landline handset.

Thank you very much. You're a star.  B)   :lol:

You are welcome. LOL, you got THREE devices! What a busy man :D

Hey avk_tp. Now I have added GrowlVoice to Uni Call. Please go and test it out. Unfortunately, it seems we don't have Google Voice available in Australia, so I am not able to tell whether it works or not. Please let me know any problems. :)

I downloaded GrowlVoice to get it working, but I then realised that it's only integrated with the American service (Google Voice) and not the internationally available one (Google Talk... I always mix up their names). As such, I'm afraid we'll need an American to test it while I wait for either the service to be extended internationally or GrowlVoice to add Google Talk support.

Sorry about that!

I downloaded GrowlVoice to get it working, but I then realised that it's only integrated with the American service (Google Voice) and not the internationally available one (Google Talk... I always mix up their names). As such, I'm afraid we'll need an American to test it while I wait for either the service to be extended internationally or GrowlVoice to add Google Talk support.

Sorry about that!

LOL, I thought you are in US because you are using Google Voice/Talk. But never mind.

Hi Davide. How's going?

Now I have added both SIP and PushDialer to Uni Call. Please download and try them out. Bugs might exist. Please let me know. Hope you will like them! 

Hi guiguan,

I'm on the go, so can't test all now, but a first fast test shows, everything is working. AWESOME workflow! Big thanks!

One thing: if I type only call I'm missing Telephone in the list.

Hi guiguan,

I'm on the go, so can't test all now, but a first fast test shows, everything is working. AWESOME workflow! Big thanks!

One thing: if I type only call I'm missing Telephone in the list.

You probably have to provide me a screenshot in order for me to figure out that problem. But my initial guess is that because I limited the number of results to be shown to 20 for the sake of performance, which means, if you have enabled all the call components and the TARGET has quite a few phone numbers, emails etc, results corresponding to other call components could fill out the 20 places and leave results corresponding to Telephone no space to show. However, as time goes by, Alfred will learn your most frequent used call options (no matter whether you used "call TARGET", "calli TARGET" or whatever command to derive the results), so if you have chosen results corresponding to Telephone for a TARGET many times, the "call TARGET" will probably provide you results corresponding to Telephone on top of the list.