AlfPT - Alfred Package Tools (Workflow Installer/Updater)

I am also experiencing the same problems as CarlosNZ and Hollowm4n but my problems seem to be intermittent. Sometimes there will be no text under the AlfPT icon, other times I get a successful update notification underneath AlfPT with the workflow bundle id (if i remember correctly) listed with a message of success in front. 

A problem I am experiencing that I have not seen listed here is a very strange message in growl, screenshot attached, but notice the success response at the bottom... Probably an error on my end but just in case otherwise...

I think that problem's happening when it tries to copy over directories in workflows. I think it's because it's using a simple copy function rather than a recursive copy (examples in the comments of the PHP manual).

Here's a suggestion for downloading icons: maybe try running the downloader script in the background, and display results without icons if they aren't all downloaded yet. You may lose out on a bit of functionality your first time searching, but it's better than sitting there waiting until they're all downloaded. (You'll probably want to make it check if the script is already running in the background, and run it if it isn't.)

Thanks to everyone who posted their pings. The slow response problem is caused by distance form my server. I am thinking about ways around this.

If you're looking to set up mirrors, I'd be among the first to volunteer. Don't know how programmatically complex that would be, though.

I'm also stuck on the "Updating icon cache" while pinging goes great.

However the idea of this is amazing, can't believe Alfred's creators didn't think of adding this themselves. An "appstore" for workflows is fantastic.

Some ideas; it would be great if you add "alfpt new" to list the newest workflows and "alfpt top x" to see the top downloaden workflows etc. 

Couple of quick comments. First, there's a display issue when using Firefox. The login (and "upload") buttons don't show up. You can still click the spot where they're supposed to be though.

screenshot20130128at111.png

How it looks in Firefox.

screenshot20130128at111.png

How it should look (in Chrome).

And secondly, any way to get stats of number of downloads? I assume this is already being logged somewhere; would be good to see how many downloads I'm getting. I can see my download numbers via CloudApp, would be interested to know whether more or less people are getting my workflows via this method.

Cheers.

Hi,

AlfPT was working great for me, up until yesterday. Now nothing at all loads, either under the update or the install commands. Even update -f gives no results. I thought maybe I just didn't have any updates, but I remembered that there is actually a message in the subtext that tells you this, which does not appear anymore. I have left it running for over five minutes, and still no change. I think I have the latest version - updated via link on first page; I have also just updated to latest Alfred beta.

Any ideas?!

Thanks - AlfPT is great!

Hi all

I've purchased 500mb of webspace which I plan to move the repo over to. This should improve the general speed of accessing the repo. I'm also currently re-writing the icon caching code to download the files asynchronously which will further improve responsiveness.

As far as increasing the filesize limit - what kind of size do you guys think you'll need? We've already got 102 workflows in the repo (most of which are tiny - in fact we're only using around 8mb in total). If people start shipping huge caches with their workflows this could run out fast.

I've got my day job and an art project to work on as well as this at the moment so development will be a little slower than it has been. Please bear with me.

Ta

As far as increasing the filesize limit - what kind of size do you guys think you'll need? We've already got 102 workflows in the repo (most of which are tiny - in fact we're only using around 8mb in total). If people start shipping huge caches with their workflows this could run out fast.

This was my silly request, but I've since realized that I wasn't clearing the .git folder from my workflows before zipping them. Their sizes, even with a couple of modules bundled, are under the limit now. So don't make this a priority on my account. A workflow that bundles the Requests module, the requests_cache module, and the BeautifulSoup module zips down to about 700kb, so there's even (a little) room to spare.

Thanks so much for devoting so much time and energy to this! It's really a superb addition to Alfred.

AlfPT stopped working they day before yesterday. The following message shows up in Console.app:

30-01-13 16:51:55,397 Alfred 2[19164]: [ERROR] Script XML Parse Error occured Error Domain=NSXMLParserErrorDomain Code=4 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSXMLParserErrorDomain error 4.)"

Any idea what's happening or how I can debug this? 

FYI guys, robhor's Repo Workflow is working beautifully. I would recommend using that and let Tom concentrate on the backend.

I started using robhor's Repo Workflow right when it was made available, but I think that workflows posted on the repository should work for everyone. If not, they should be removed. I'm happy to help debugging and see if we can sort out why it's not working, but we need tomhunt's help for that. In any case; I really appreciate both robhor's and tomhunts hard work :-)

I agree jordic. It's only possible because of Tom's vision but robhor's workflow is much easier and quicker. They work great together.

Unfortunately the repo is down right now, as of this post so neither one works... I am sure when there is a stable v2.0 there will be an official repo.

If possible, Tom, can you give us permission/instructions to mirror your repo so we have backups online all the time in case of server failure? Such as what is occurring now? Anyway we can help?

We know. When v2 is released I am sure the Alfred team will contemplate if they want to have an "official" repo but most likely they will just have a site where people post/send them workflows.

We are VERY lucky to have Tom's site. Let's not forget that. Robhor's extension just makes using Alfpt that much easier imo. Both are necessary... we could just have no repo? That would suck...

Tom's main site is up so hopefully the repo part will be up soon. Goes to show how quickly it all can be pulled.

Still down?

Yes, just visit the site and you can tell, along with the script not working or the wonderful addition for alfpt by Robhor.

If this link: http://alfredrepo.tom-hunt.co.uk - doesn't return anything... it's down. I really do not think it is coming online again so we just have to have patience or buy some hosting or use github...

Might be a good idea to start a list of our own of every "known" workflow out there along with developer info if available.

I agree jordic. It's only possible because of Tom's vision but robhor's workflow is much easier and quicker. They work great together.

Unfortunately the repo is down right now, as of this post so neither one works... I am sure when there is a stable v2.0 there will be an official repo.

If possible, Tom, can you give us permission/instructions to mirror your repo so we have backups online all the time in case of server failure? Such as what is occurring now? Anyway we can help?

I think it would be great if we could set up a system of mirrors, and have offered my hosting space as a testing-ground before. This most recent outage has been a particularly extended one, though, as far as I can tell—I'm almost tempted to suggest that we  start (groan) rebuilding from scratch.