Spotlight Comments on folder not showing up

dathin

What you were doing when the issue happened
Trying to find a folder based on a spotlight comment.
* Where you able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action
Yes
* Include the Alfred version & build number you are using
v2.0.3(187) with powerpack
* Include your OS X version

==================================

The folder is showing up on spotlight. I managed to get it to work after I un checked 'Include Folders in Home' and added the home folder manually so not a big issue anymore but I thought I will report it just in case it helps.

What you were doing when the issue happened
Trying to find a folder based on a spotlight comment.
* Where you able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action
Yes
* Include the Alfred version & build number you are using
v2.0.3(187) with powerpack
* Include your OS X version

==================================

The folder is showing up on spotlight. I managed to get it to work after I un checked 'Include Folders in Home' and added the home folder manually so not a big issue anymore but I thought I will report it just in case it helps.

This may have been an issue of the metadata needing to be updated and when you added the scope back, it updated. Unsure. Keep a watch on it and let us know if it happens again as this definitely shouldn't be happening and may just be something simple.

Hey :)

just to clarify that this is still happening when I use the 'Include Folders in Home' check box. It is not a problem for me because I kept the manualy added ~ in the search scope.

best,

Dionysis

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring  this bug up again but I actually run onto it after I completely forgot about it. I was getting a lot of random results from ~/library and I was wondering what is going on. 

I then realized that I have included the whole home folder! I removed the folder and ticked the default box and then lost the access to the spotlight comments. After wondering what

is going on for a bit I remembered the bug and my solution (which is causing my current issue). It would be great if you can add this to your TODO list to have a look at some point.

By the way, after using Alfred for the last months I can not imagine living without it. With workflows I have elegantly achieved things that I could not do with any other launcher.

Really, amazing job guys!! :)

best,

Dionysis

• 1 month later...

Just had the same issue after a clean install of OSX Mavericks. To be exact it happens when adding a comment dw to the downloads folder.

Alfred finds it only if I manually add the home directory. The side effect is the addition of the whole library.

Could someone try to recreate? It works now but it is the third time that, after forgetting about it, I had to chase down the reason things are not working as expected.

Thanks!

Dionysis

Just had the same issue after a clean install of OSX Mavericks. To be exact it happens when adding a comment dw to the downloads folder.

Alfred finds it only if I manually add the home directory. The side effect is the addition of the whole library.

Could someone try to recreate? It works now but it is the third time that, after forgetting about it, I had to chase down the reason things are not working as expected.

Thanks!

Dionysis

I can understand why this wouldn't be working as the home folder is treated as a special folder by Alfred. As this is a bit of a corner case, I suggest the best way to work around this is create a simple workflow of aliases to the folders you want, e.g. a dl keyword which opens the Downloads folder. This will mean they will always work regardless of your scope, and without having to use Spotlight comments.

Let me know if you need a hand with this :)

Ah! So it is not a bug.

That should be fine then. I will follow you advice and create a workflow. It is really simple to create it but a bit inconsistent that I need to hit enter to browse the folder in Alfred. My muscle memory is trained to hit the right arrow for browsing folders. Could you give me a quick hint of how to make it so that typing dw automatically opens the folder for browsing in Alfred?

The favorites workflow (Fav) does it using a script filter but there is so many things going on in there that I can not figure it out...

best,

Dionysis

Edited by dathin

Ah! So it is not a bug.

That should be fine then. I will follow you advice and create a workflow. It is really simple to create it but a bit inconsistent that I need to hit enter to browse the folder in Alfred. My muscle memory is trained to hit the right arrow for browsing folders. Could you give me a quick hint of how to make it so that typing dw automatically opens the folder for browsing in Alfred?

The favorites workflow (Fav) does it using a script filter but there is so many things going on in there that I can not figure it out...

best,

Dionysis

In the workflow, if you attach the keyword to a "browse in Alfred" action and set the folder path to be the folder you want to browse in Alfred, then it should work as you need :)

That is exactly what I did. Maybe I wasn't clear in the previous post. Let me try again :)

Normally when I have a keyword for a folder I:

1. hit cmd-space

2. input the keyword in Alfred

3. hit the right arrow to start browsing

This is the behavior with all my folders so my muscle memory for this motion is really strong.

Now with the workflow ('keyword' connected to 'browse in Alfred') I have to do:

1. - same as above - 

2. - same as above -

3. hit enter!!

I am sure you can imagine the result :) I just get it wrong every single time!!

How can I simulate the usual behavior?

Thanks!

Dionysis

Ah hmm I see what you mean… I'm not quite sure if there is a workaround for this one as the results listed are keyword results, not file results, so Alfred doesn't see the result as a file.

What I'm going to do is add a ticket for 2.1.1 to see if I can get the base folders treated as normal folders so that spotlight comments work as expected on the scope folders… then you won't need the workflow and you'll be able to use the right arrow.

Cheers,

Andrew