Add songs to iTunes Up Next

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Was the issue regarding the Pairing functionality ever addressed? I'm still facing the same issue -- when typing "pair 1234", it just returns the google fallback results.

Hi there, could you please fill in your Powerpack email address in your forum profile before taking part in Powerpack-related discussions? :) Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue as others with pairing. I tried your suggestion to run `ruby pair.rb 1234` in the command line.

It looks like there are some requires/import errors.

$ ruby pair.rb 1234
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require': cannot load such file -- alfred (LoadError)
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
from pair.rb:6:in `<main>'

Edited by paularmstrong
  • 1 month later...

For the people that are having trouble pairing, I have two questions:

1. Is iTunes running when you try to pair? (it should be)
  2. Do you have sharing enabled in iTunes?

Almost one year has passed but let's try again!

Yes, iTunes is running and sharing is enabled.

Try this,

1. Open Alfred's preferences and go to the Workflows pane
  2. Right click on the Up Next workflow and then click "Show in Finder"
  3. Open Terminal in /Applications/Utilities
  4. In Terminal, type "cd " (note the space at the end) and then drag the little blue folder icon from the top on the finder window into the terminal window and hit enter
  5. Now in Terminal, type "ruby pair.rb " followed by a 4-digit number pin and hit enter
  6. Paste the results here

I'll look into this right away!

So, results are a bit different today. Here's what the Terminal says:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require': cannot load such file -- alfred (LoadError)
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
	from pair.rb:6:in `<main>'

Is something missing from my side?

This workflow was written for Ruby 1.9.3 which was the default in Mountain Lion. In Mavericks, Ruby 2.0 is now the default. The workflow needs to be updated to support Ruby 2.0. I don't really have the time to do this myself, but I'd be happy to accept a pull request on Github.

This workflow was written for Ruby 1.9.3 which was the default in Mountain Lion. In Mavericks, Ruby 2.0 is now the default. The workflow needs to be updated to support Ruby 2.0. I don't really have the time to do this myself, but I'd be happy to accept a pull request on Github.

So that was just because of this... Then, I'll consider the pull request and be patient :)

• 2 weeks later...

The edit below made this workflow functional for me on Mavericks. It changes the referenced version of Ruby from the default (2.0) to 1.8, which works with this script.

Select the workflow. Double-click on each workflow item to edit it (the pair and next Script Filters, and the two /bin/bash scripts), and make this change in each:

Replace

/usr/bin/ruby

with 

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby

then save.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a pretty serious disk problem after using this workflow. I think the pairing process somehow corrupted my disk permissions, which prevented my computer from booting up properly—I ended up having to reinstall OS X.

The reason I think this workflow is responsible is that all the permission problems were related to iTunes and one for remote services. Also, the workflow is no longer working for me, after fixing the problem. If you need more information to help figure out what could have happened, please ask!

I had a pretty serious disk problem after using this workflow. I think the pairing process somehow corrupted my disk permissions, which prevented my computer from booting up properly—I ended up having to reinstall OS X.

The reason I think this workflow is responsible is that all the permission problems were related to iTunes and one for remote services. Also, the workflow is no longer working for me, after fixing the problem. If you need more information to help figure out what could have happened, please ask!

I think it's unlikely that this workflow was the cause. It doesn't touch the filesystem, it simply duplicates the functionality of the iOS Remote app.

This is an awesome workflow! It makes my life and work great better! Thank you!

But I have a little problem, this workflow can only search tracks with names of latin alphabet languages. Could you please add supports for other languages? 

Thank you!

The edit below made this workflow functional for me on Mavericks. It changes the referenced version of Ruby from the default (2.0) to 1.8, which works with this script.

Select the workflow. Double-click on each workflow item to edit it (the pair and next Script Filters, and the two /bin/bash scripts), and make this change in each:

Replace

/usr/bin/ruby

with 

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby

then save.

Just wanted to say that this worked perfectly. Big thanks gena!

• 2 years later...

I'm trying to get this to work on El Capitan 10.11.6 with Alfred 3.

Since "/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/" only contains "2.0" I installed "1.9.3p551" via NVM and changed "/user/bin/ruby" references to "~/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p551/bin/ruby"

When I try and pair I receive the following error every time I add a number

[2016-07-30 21:35:29][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] Code 1: /Users/christianmagill/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p551/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': cannot load such file -- alfred (LoadError)

from /Users/christianmagill/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p551/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'

from ./pair.rb:6:in `<main>'

Any ideas?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Am I the only one for whom it's not working? It's such an awesome use-case for Alfred.

I tried it a gazillion times but the pairing won't work.

I open iTunes, open Alfred and type e.g. "dj n" hit enter, switch to iTunes type in the code into the iTunes remote thing.

I also activated sharing in the local network.

Anything I'm missing here?

On 2/9/2017 at 11:06 AM, Karl87 said:

Am I the only one for whom it's not working? It's such an awesome use-case for Alfred.

I tried it a gazillion times but the pairing won't work.

I open iTunes, open Alfred and type e.g. "dj n" hit enter, switch to iTunes type in the code into the iTunes remote thing.

I also activated sharing in the local network.

Anything I'm missing here?

Are you receiving an error message? Does iTunes successfully pair? How far are you getting?

• 2 months later...