Script filter arguments

Beginner here, so please be kind ;)

I have a script filter that accepts an argument.

An item's arg value is passed as the argument from the script filter to the next workflow component.

Questions:

1) What happens to the original argument supplied to the script filter?

2) If both the original argument and arg value of an item are passed, how is each referenced in the next workflow component?

3) Can I somehow combine the original argument with the arg value of the items (to be parsed out in the next component)?

EDIT: Following this post, I looked into David Ferguson's thread on How To with Script Filters and gleaned quite a bit... Still, I'd like to hear others' approaches :)

Edited by Zork

Beginner here, so please be kind ;)

I have a script filter that accepts an argument.

An item's arg value is passed as the argument from the script filter to the next workflow component.

Questions:

1) What happens to the original argument supplied to the script filter?

2) If both the original argument and arg value of an item are passed, how is each referenced in the next workflow component?

3) Can I somehow combine the original argument with the arg value of the items (to be parsed out in the next component)?

EDIT: Following this post, I looked into David Ferguson's thread on How To with Script Filters and gleaned quite a bit... Still, I'd like to hear others' approaches :)

When generating the Script Filter output, you could simply set the arg value to the generated arg and the original input separated by some delimiter and then split the {query} variable in the next step. You could also have the script filter write the original input to a temporary file and then read that file in the next step as well. Just depends on how you want to do it.