Basic request

Hi

I'm a complete beginner here but would like a simple workflow that opens the file highlighted in the Finder with a specified app. For example, I highlight a jpeg in the Finder then call the workflow and it opens it in GraphicConverter. Seems simple to me but I've been failing. How do I pass the highlighted file to the workflow?

Thanks for you patience.

Cheers

I have a similar need... Here is how I accomplished mine:

1) Create a File Action trigger (choose appropriate keyword and whether this action will accept multiple files)

2) Create a Run Script action (leave the Language setting on the default bin/bash)

3) Paste in this code "open -a /Applications/Preview.app {query}" (without the quote marks)

Replace the Preview.app reference with the exact app filename of your desired app, such as GraphicConvertor.

4) Connect the File Action to the Run Script

Now, with your file(s) selected in Finder, invoke Alfred's actions panel (as defined by the hotkey in preferences: File Search > Actions > File Selection)

Once the actions panel is displayed, starting typing your keyword from Step 1 and it will appear as an action for your selected file(s). Choosing that action will pass the file(s) to GraphicConvertor to open.

Hi

I'm a complete beginner here but would like a simple workflow that opens the file highlighted in the Finder with a specified app. For example, I highlight a jpeg in the Finder then call the workflow and it opens it in GraphicConverter. Seems simple to me but I've been failing. How do I pass the highlighted file to the workflow?

Thanks for you patience.

Cheers

There is a nice workflow for this:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/1345-open-selected-finder-items-in-an-application-keyword/

I have a similar need... Here is how I accomplished mine:

1) Create a File Action trigger (choose appropriate keyword and whether this action will accept multiple files)

2) Create a Run Script action (leave the Language setting on the default bin/bash)

3) Paste in this code "open -a /Applications/Preview.app {query}" (without the quote marks)

Replace the Preview.app reference with the exact app filename of your desired app, such as GraphicConvertor.

4) Connect the File Action to the Run Script

Now, with your file(s) selected in Finder, invoke Alfred's actions panel (as defined by the hotkey in preferences: File Search > Actions > File Selection)

Once the actions panel is displayed, starting typing your keyword from Step 1 and it will appear as an action for your selected file(s). Choosing that action will pass the file(s) to GraphicConvertor to open.

Thank you, that works for me.

Thanks, I'll look at that too

You could do this with a workflow and skip one step but, if you aren't familiar with it, you could also select the file in Finder and press Cmd+opt+\ to bring up the file actions for that item and just select "Open With...", type the first few characters of GraphicConverter and press Enter. Obviously, as I mentioned, a workflow would skip a step or so but if you need this type of setup for multiple file types, then you would need a different workflow or keyword for each.