Access wordpress dashboard areas of pages quickly

Hello,

I spend my days building and administrating Wordpress websites for companies. Today i am administrating over 100 sites, and it is getting more every day. My request for a workflow is quicker access to different admin-areas in wordpress of the sites. Lets say i have these three sites:

www.coolpage1.com

www.coolpage2.com

www.coolpage3.com

All of the sites admin-area can be accessed by adding "/wp-admin" at the end of the url.

Today i use the custom search that is built into Alfred with the {query}. For example i write the keyword "admin" followed by "coolpage2". This works fine for opening www.coolpage2.com/wp-admin. The problem with this method for me though is:

1. Its is a slow process to add all the 100 sites in the custom search

2. I need to complete the looong query "coolpage2" (i would like it to autocomplete).

3. I would like to easily add shortcuts to other areas of the Wordpress Dashboard, not just /wp-admin. I would want to easily bring up "new post", "widgets", "menus" and more (which always has the same url-endings on every page), but custom search forces me to repeat the process thousands of times.

So could i make a script that could do the following:

1. Enter a keyword ("wg" for widgets, "wm" for menus, "wn" for new post and so forth)

2. Start typing a query that autocompletes based on an overview of sites ("coolpage1", "coolpage2", "coolpage3") and open the correct URL based on keyword and query

3. Add a new sites quickly and easily to the "autocomplete-database" by typing keyword "addpage" followed by "coolpage4"

I have no idea how to do this, but it would speed up my workday alot!

Anyone able to help me with this? :)

Anders

Anyone?

No matter how you set it up, you would have to enter all the sites one time regardless. To add autocompletion and all that you would need some sort of file or database to store each site. 

Personally, I would think the easiest thing to do would be to have a database. A small SQlite database that maintains a list of sites, and the additional pages you (just the URL past the domain name). Then you would use a script filter to search that database for matches to your input and for each one, append the rest of the url to the other pages. You could also make it use the first word to match the site, second word to match the page you want. So, using a keyword of 'wp', something like: 'wp al he' would use 'al' to match http://alfredapp.com and 'he' would be used to match the subsequent help page, so, http://alfredapp.com/help.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes perfect sense – and thanks for answering. That is quite how i imagined it in my head. My only problem is making this happen. I have no experience in coding things like this. I have touched only PHP, in regards to building wordpress themes, but that won't get me far. Do you have any directions you could point me in, which could result in this workflow beeing built?

Yes, that makes perfect sense – and thanks for answering. That is quite how i imagined it in my head. My only problem is making this happen. I have no experience in coding things like this. I have touched only PHP, in regards to building wordpress themes, but that won't get me far. Do you have any directions you could point me in, which could result in this workflow beeing built?

Since you are slightly familiar with PHP, you could look at my Faves workflow, that should give you a good starting point for taking input, saving it, generating results, filtering based on input, etc.

Since you are slightly familiar with PHP, you could look at my Faves workflow, that should give you a good starting point for taking input, saving it, generating results, filtering based on input, etc.

I have looked at the workflow (which is brilliant btw, i'll be using it from now on), but i know to little PHP to manage the task. I'll just have to wait and see if anyone makes something similar and take it from there. 

I have looked at the workflow (which is brilliant btw, i'll be using it from now on), but i know to little PHP to manage the task. I'll just have to wait and see if anyone makes something similar and take it from there. 

I can probably help you get something together when I get back home. I'm supposedly on vacation right now :) I'll be back home sometime Sunday so, maybe one day next week I can help you get it sorted out. I'll make a note of it but, just to make sure it doesn't slip my mind, bump this thread or send me a PM one day next week.

I can probably help you get something together when I get back home. I'm supposedly on vacation right now :) I'll be back home sometime Sunday so, maybe one day next week I can help you get it sorted out. I'll make a note of it but, just to make sure it doesn't slip my mind, bump this thread or send me a PM one day next week.

Hey. Hope you had a good vacation! :) I'm just bumping this to remind you. 

Anders

Thanks, i really appreciate it! :)

Sorry it took so long, I've been a little busy this week. Try this

Commands:

wppages - shows a list of the wordpress pages

wpsites - shows a list of all sites you have saved

wp - used to search your sites, select one, the select the admin page to navigate to

wpaddsite - add a new site. ex: wpaddsite http://alfredapp.com Alfred Site

Thoughts?

Sorry it took so long, I've been a little busy this week. Try this

Commands:

wppages - shows a list of the wordpress pages

wpsites - shows a list of all sites you have saved

wp - used to search your sites, select one, the select the admin page to navigate to

wpaddsite - add a new site. ex: wpaddsite http://alfredapp.com Alfred Site

Thoughts?

David, this is brilliant! I works just as i imagined it should work, and i know it will save me alot of time. Great!

I have three requests/improvements i want to suggest:

1. Could "wpdelete {query}" be added to remove sites from the db?

2. Could i add new wordpress pages easily somehow? We have alot of default plugins and default pages which i would like to access (example: /contact-us/)

3. How can i change the name of the wordpress pages to my language? Now they are called Home, Posts, Pages, Apperance etc. 

Thank you for this!

David, this is brilliant! I works just as i imagined it should work, and i know it will save me alot of time. Great!

I have three requests/improvements i want to suggest:

1. Could "wpdelete {query}" be added to remove sites from the db?

2. Could i add new wordpress pages easily somehow? We have alot of default plugins and default pages which i would like to access (example: /contact-us/)

3. How can i change the name of the wordpress pages to my language? Now they are called Home, Posts, Pages, Apperance etc. 

Thank you for this!

I'll get delete and the ability to add new pages added in. I thought about doing it before I gave it to you but wanted to see if I was even remotely close to what you were looking for before I took it any further. For renaming the pages.. all the data is stored in a wordpress.db file (its SQLite) inside the workflow folder. You could open it with an SQLite Database editor and rename things that way temporarily until I get you another method. You could also use that to add/remove items if you really wanted or needed to. What language would you be changing it to? Curious to see if accented characters and such are going to break it.

I'll get delete and the ability to add new pages added in. I thought about doing it before I gave it to you but wanted to see if I was even remotely close to what you were looking for before I took it any further. For renaming the pages.. all the data is stored in a wordpress.db file (its SQLite) inside the workflow folder. You could open it with an SQLite Database editor and rename things that way temporarily until I get you another method. You could also use that to add/remove items if you really wanted or needed to. What language would you be changing it to? Curious to see if accented characters and such are going to break it.

Okay, sounds good. I will be translating them into Norwegian. Out alphabet consists of a-z, and the three "unusual" letters: Æ æ, Ø ø and Å, å. Those letters may break the code i guess. 

Okay, sounds good. I will be translating them into Norwegian. Out alphabet consists of a-z, and the three "unusual" letters: Æ æ, Ø ø and Å, å. Those letters may break the code i guess. 

Yeah probably and the reason I say that is.. Andrew took a look at normalizing the input earlier on but there were still some issues to be worked out with it so, it was removed. Until we determine a fix for it, the special characters are decomposed and it makes it a pain to deal with.

Yeah probably and the reason I say that is.. Andrew took a look at normalizing the input earlier on but there were still some issues to be worked out with it so, it was removed. Until we determine a fix for it, the special characters are decomposed and it makes it a pain to deal with.

I see. But, it will be no problem (for me) avoiding the special characters until there is a fix for it.

The most interesting thing for this workflow, as i mentioned, would be the ability to add new pages. Haven't had any chance to play around with it this weekend, but maybe i'll come up with other good improvements this week. 

I see. But, it will be no problem (for me) avoiding the special characters until there is a fix for it.

The most interesting thing for this workflow, as i mentioned, would be the ability to add new pages. Haven't had any chance to play around with it this weekend, but maybe i'll come up with other good improvements this week. 

Gotcha. I'll try to get the other few features added one day this week.

• 2 weeks later...