Sign in to follow this  
hubutz

Is there a way to search inside files?

Hi,

i'm actually trying to get paperless and scanning a lot of things with my new Canon P-215. My question is: is there a way to let alfred search my files? So I can find terms that are in a PDF but not in the name?

If not: what are you using for that?

Thanks and cheers,

Ben

Why not just use OS X? Make a custom search searching for term with 'contents'. Whenever I search for a term in a folder full of pdf files (I keep pdf manuals in a defined folder on my system) it shows only the file/s with those terms within the document.

Hi,

i'm actually trying to get paperless and scanning a lot of things with my new Canon P-215. My question is: is there a way to let alfred search my files? So I can find terms that are in a PDF but not in the name?

If not: what are you using for that?

Thanks and cheers,

Ben

You can use Alfred's 'in' keyword, but it may be better to setup a Workflow file filter to specify the pdf file type and perhaps a narrowed search scope. This way, you will be able to more accurately find your files.

From the [+] button in the Workflow prefs, take a look at the "Filter folders in home" workflow example, or "File filter from keyword and open" template :)

Okay, thanks.

I gonna give this a try - havent used workflows yet; this might be to complex for me :-o But I gonna find out!

If you need a hand, pop a question in the Workflow Help sub forum, there are plenty of amazing Alfred users willing to help put together workflows in there :)