Hotkeys are not handled correctly when using the Shift key

vitor

I have a portuguese keyboard. This means that I type 4 using a single key, and $ by issuing ⇧+4. The problem arises when I try to set a keyboard shortcut (happens both in workflows and with Alfred’s main hotkey) to ^+⇧+4 — Alfred sees it as ^+⇧+$, which means it’s expecting me to use plus a key that already needs it in the first place, effectively preventing the correct usage of the shortcut.

I have a portuguese keyboard. This means that I type 4 using a single key, and $ by issuing ⇧+4. The problem arises when I try to set a keyboard shortcut (happens both in workflows and with Alfred’s main hotkey) to ^+⇧+4 — Alfred sees it as ^+⇧+$, which means it’s expecting me to use plus a key that already needs it in the first place, effectively preventing the correct usage of the shortcut.

This combination is exactly the same on a UK keyboard, which Andrew uses everyday to develop Alfred :)

Alfred registers the actual keys you're pressing so if you're pressing down the Shift key and a number key, Alfred will register this as the shift + number key combo. In the case of shift + 4, this is $. Setting a combo to shift + a number and expecting the number is an impossibility as OS X and Alfred will always recognise the modified key instead (e.g. the $ sign, not the number 4).

If you want to use a combination with numbers, you'll need to use cmd/opt/ctrl modifiers instead of the shift key.

Edited by Andrew
Misunderstanding by Vero, corrected below

Setting a combo to shift + a number and expecting the number is an impossibility as OS X and Alfred will always recognise the modified key instead (e.g. the $ sign, not the number 4).

I have to disagree there, at least in what concerns OSX. If I go to System Preferences → Keyboard → Keyboard Shortcuts, and set a shortcut there, OSX can do it correctly without a problem. So if you tell me a third-party app couldn’t for some reason implement this without some work, I’d accept that, but it is clearly not an impossibility on OSX.

I have to disagree there, at least in what concerns OSX. If I go to System Preferences → Keyboard → Keyboard Shortcuts, and set a shortcut there, OSX can do it correctly without a problem. So if you tell me a third-party app couldn’t for some reason implement this without some work, I’d accept that, but it is clearly not an impossibility on OSX.

Hi Victor,

The hotkey / combo still works, it's simply displaying differently in Alfred. If I setup a cmd+shift+4 hotkey, it works as expected when I use it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Victor,

The hotkey / combo still works, it's simply displaying differently in Alfred. If I setup a cmd+shift+4 hotkey, it works as expected when I use it.

Cheers,

Andrew

It is, you’re right. For some reason it seems to be taking a bit to act on it (may very well be the scripts fault), which explains why it seemed to not be working before.

Thank you.