Preferences rely on a case sensitive file system

Coming from a Linux/command line background, I prefer an all lowercase filesystem structure and so, based on Can I safely rename all directories in my home directory to lower case? and after confirming my filesystem is case insensitive in Disk Utility, I proceeded to rename everything in my home directory to lowercase.

One repercussion (there maybe others besides) is Alfred forgets his preferences. Having ran through Persisting Alfred's Preferences a few times, I ruled out permission issues. However, running AppDelete on Alfred Preferences.app showed references to the plist files with ~/Library prefixes (capital L). Renaming ~/library back to ~/Library solved the issue, which leads me to believe preferences assume case sensitivity.

Note, I haven't the OS X experience to know whether this applies to all apps, though Bryson in the AskDifferent thread linked above remarks

When selecting file system case sensitivity (or not), it should also be known that while the operating system itself will be okay with this, certain applications may not.

Alfred v2.0.4 (199)

OS X v10.8.3

Coming from a Linux/command line background, I prefer an all lowercase filesystem structure and so, based on Can I safely rename all directories in my home directory to lower case? and after confirming my filesystem is case insensitive in Disk Utility, I proceeded to rename everything in my home directory to lowercase.

One repercussion (there maybe others besides) is Alfred forgets his preferences. Having ran through Persisting Alfred's Preferences a few times, I ruled out permission issues. However, running AppDelete on Alfred Preferences.app showed references to the plist files with ~/Library prefixes (capital L). Renaming ~/library back to ~/Library solved the issue, which leads me to believe preferences assume case sensitivity.

Note, I haven't the OS X experience to know whether this applies to all apps, though Bryson in the AskDifferent thread linked above remarks

Alfred v2.0.4 (199)

OS X v10.8.3

Alfred asks OS X where the application support folder is, and never actually refers to ~/Library unless there is a serious issue with the response from this - I would highly recommend against renaming OS X's library folder to ~/library though as you are going to get way more issues than just a few preferences not working.

I'm going to move this out of the bugs forum as the issue is way larger than Alfred's.