Popclip Alfred Extension

Hi,

I thought everyone would be interested in this. If you have PopClip, you can not send what you highlight straight to Alfred. You can get that extension here http://pilotmoon.com/popclip/extensions/ext/Alfred.popclipextz

If you do not have PopClip, why not? It is a great tool. My two cents.

PS: I did not create the extension. Not sure who did. But it works great.

Richard

Edited by raguay.customct

If you have some calculations in a document you are working with, highlight and send to Alfred and it will put the result in the clipboard. For me, It is a little faster opening a web site highlighting an web address and sending to alfred automatically pops up my current Chrome and displays it. My PopClip extension for that sometimes crashes, so I dropped it. The Alfred extension has not given me any problems yet.

You can also highlight some text and send to Alfred, use <cmd>left arrow to get to the beginning and type your keyword for saving it to a note taker (Evernote, DevonThink,....).

More can be thought of. Just use your imagination!

• 2 weeks later...

It’s an interesting idea. I use PopClip. I’m having difficulty though understanding why I’d send something to Alfred. Calculations? You mean you have say text e.g. 2 + 2 and you want to know the total so instead of opening the calculator you highlight the text, send it to Alfred and Alfred calculates the result and puts it into the clipboard and then you paste it into something?

That would be useful I think if the numbers are already written down. If they’re not I just open Alfred and write them in.

It’s an interesting idea. I use PopClip. I’m having difficulty though understanding why I’d send something to Alfred. Calculations? You mean you have say text e.g. 2 + 2 and you want to know the total so instead of opening the calculator you highlight the text, send it to Alfred and Alfred calculates the result and puts it into the clipboard and then you paste it into something?

That would be useful I think if the numbers are already written down. If they’re not I just open Alfred and write them in.

That was just a case example, but I do use it with Text Expander. I have a Text Expander macro for replying to people asking for group memberships. Each level has its own discount rate. The Text Expander macro fills in the amount with a multiplication symbol. I type in the number of memberships, highlight it all, click the Alfred extension on PopClip, and paste the answer in. Text Expander does not do the math for you, but this makes a nice workaround. 

I also use it to do translations. I highlight what I want to look up, click the Alfred on PopClip, <command>left to get to the front and type "translate". I then have the phrase translated. I select the one I want and paste it in. It works for me. 

Of course, not everyone will enjoy the same workflow. Everyone just has to pick and choose which workflows work for them. I love this forum because I can get a peek into how others think, and possibly find an adjustment to my workflow that is faster. That is the great thing about sharing ideas!

Yes very good. Yeah the forum is good for the sharing of ideas and developing or using workflows. It's also excellent for finding developed workflows that might meet your needs or getting assistance in the creation of a workflow. I find people who know how to build sophisticated workflows will work with you to build kind of what you're looking for. That is, they might actually build what you actually want but then through an iterative process of testing we come up with a very usable workflow. I don't know scripting well at all and some do but through an iterative process of someone builds and I test we come up with something that is quite cool.

• 3 months later...