EggTimer v2 [updated to 2.0 final]

Hey Carlos,

Is there any chance to integrate seconds into this or is it integrated and I just can't figure out how to use it?

Thanks!

Hey, no I haven't included seconds as I really didn't think there'd be much call for it. I might add it in at some point, so thanks for asking. Just out of interest, what kind of casual reminder requires sub-minute precision?

Hey, no I haven't included seconds as I really didn't think there'd be much call for it. I might add it in at some point, so thanks for asking. Just out of interest, what kind of casual reminder requires sub-minute precision?

Steeping time for green/oolong tea. It's "part" of my workflow!

Edited by NanoXD

ahh, I was all excited about Growl Notification, but it only exists to tell me that my timer was set, not to tell me what the timer going off is /for/. I would love a growl notification to pop-up when the timer goes off reminding me what I set it for! Espciall yimportant when I have multiple timers going. Just the ding doesn't always remind me...

ahh, I was all excited about Growl Notification, but it only exists to tell me that my timer was set, not to tell me what the timer going off is /for/. I would love a growl notification to pop-up when the timer goes off reminding me what I set it for! Espciall yimportant when I have multiple timers going. Just the ding doesn't always remind me...

Hey erist, what do you mean? The Growl notification definitely should show the reminder information when it goes off:

BXCeptz.png

What does yours say? :huh:

Steeping time for green/oolong tea. It's "part" of my workflow!

Okay, I'll look into it for the next update. Just need to find an elegant way to include without creating more hassle for those who just want the basic minutes timer.

Hey erist, what do you mean? The Growl notification definitely should show the reminder information when it goes off:

BXCeptz.png

What does yours say? :huh:

Hmmm, I don't get any growl popup when mine goes off, (just when I create an alarm)...I'll try to troubleshoot. Thought it was an odd feature to leave out!

Hmmm, I don't get any growl popup when mine goes off, (just when I create an alarm)...I'll try to troubleshoot. Thought it was an odd feature to leave out!

Hi erist, I'm quite keen to get to the bottom of this. Can you check the following things, if you don't mind:

1. Is it registered properly with Growl? Check Growl preferences -> Applications, and you should see "EggTimer for Alfred" in the list on the left.
  2. What version of Growl do you have?
  3. What version of OS X are you running?
  4. If you're on Mountain Lion, do you have Growl notifications set for all Alfred notifications (in the Advanced pane), or have you just changed it for this workflow?

I have a suspicion that the problem is to do with the slighty hacky way I've tried to read Alfred's notification preferences and match it to what the EggTimer does, so I'd be keen to try and figure it out if possible.

Thanks.

1) Doesn't appear to be. I don't see it there, only my main Alfred 2 registration. I will try to reinstall...

2) Growl 2.01

3) 10.8.3

4) Yes, I have Alfred setup to use growl for all notifications (which I assume is why I get the one saying "timer created")

Reinstalled, but still no eggtimer listed in growl registered applications. Growl is set in eggtimer config. Switched to notification center and back to growl a few times, but didn't help...

When you re-installed, did you use the nuclear option (timer nuke) to blitz all the settings and stored timers?

I think I've got an idea what's going on, although I can't reproduce it here. Can you try one more thing? What happens if you change Alfred's main notification preference to Notification Centre, and just switch the output of this workflow to Growl? Does it work then? (Obviously, switch it back once you've checked ;) )

Thanks for your help.

Hey, that worked. Once I switched to Notification Center, it appeared correctly (in notification center), then when I switched to Growl for the workflow, Egg Timer for Alfred showed up in the Growl preferences and it started appearing.

Hey, that worked. Once I switched to Notification Center, it appeared correctly (in notification center), then when I switched to Growl for the workflow, Egg Timer for Alfred showed up in the Growl preferences and it started appearing.

Okay, that's good to hear. I've got some thoughts on how to make this aspect a little more robust in future updates, so thanks for your help. :)

• 1 month later...

I have a little issue with this workflow, it's nothing major.

I can set alarms or timers fine. However when I use the shortcut it always says 'No timers or alarms currently running'. There are alarms or timers running and they always go off at the right time. I just wondered why it said there were none?.

eggtime.jpg

I can set alarms or timers fine. However when I use the shortcut it always says 'No timers or alarms currently running'. There are alarms or timers running and they always go off at the right time. I just wondered why it said there were none?.

Interesting. The info for the currently running timers is stored in:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_alarms
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_autotimers
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_timers

Can you check if there is a .tim file for each of the timers you know to be running? It's possible that there is a problem writing to these folders (permissions perhaps?). Your timers would still work, as long as they are not interrupted, but wouldn't show up elsewhere. Let me know if these files are being created.

Also, do you get anything showing up in your "Recent Timers" list? (keyword: recent)

I had this issue a while ago, but it resolved itself when I updated to the latest version. Not sure what might've changed to fix that, or if it was just a coincidence. Just to be sure, are you running the latest version?

Interesting. The info for the currently running timers is stored in:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_alarms
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_autotimers
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_timers

Right, well I do not see carlosnz.eggtimer2 in the Workflow Data directory so I presume that is my problem.

I uninstalled the workflow, downloaded again and reinstalled, created a new timer and still no sign of the carlosnz.eggtimer2 in the Workflow Data directory. There are other workflows in there, just not yours?!.

I had this issue a while ago, but it resolved itself when I updated to the latest version. Not sure what might've changed to fix that, or if it was just a coincidence. Just to be sure, are you running the latest version?

Yes definitely using the latest version.

• 2 months later...

Same here, latest version, everything in place, no directory in caches, etc. I manually made the directory but no effect. Console is showing:

7/19/13 3:30:41 PM [0x0-0x32032].com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2[427] ls: /Users/michael/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/recent_timers: No such file or directory
7/19/13 3:30:41 PM [0x0-0x32032].com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2[427] ls: /Users/michael/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_timers: No such file or directory
7/19/13 3:30:41 PM [0x0-0x32032].com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2[427] ls: /Users/michael/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_autotimers: No such file or directory
7/19/13 3:30:41 PM [0x0-0x32032].com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2[427] ls: /Users/michael/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_alarms: No such file or directory

and also

7/19/13 3:31:22 PM [0x0-0x32032].com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2[427] ./scripts/input_new_timer.sh: line 43: [: test: binary operator expected

Haven't had much time to investigate just yet though.
  • 3 months later...

Hiya,

I've been a happy user of your extension for what seems like years at this point.  Unfortunately, after I recently updated to Mavericks (yesterday), I also had an update to Alfred, and now your extension no longer records the timers.

Rather I should say, when I check the recent timers after creating a timer, there are none listed.  

However, the notification does push through to Notifications (as I would expect it would still do.)

The timers do still work. I am able to hear them go off and they are recorded correctly in notifications.

I was wondering if you could post an update or take a look? I'm extremely forgetful (hence the need for timers!) and often find myself checking to see how long I have or whether or not I remembered to post one to set one to begin with.

Thanks very much!

Hiya,

I've been a happy user of your extension for what seems like years at this point.  Unfortunately, after I recently updated to Mavericks (yesterday), I also had an update to Alfred, and now your extension no longer records the timers.

Rather I should say, when I check the recent timers after creating a timer, there are none listed.  

However, the notification does push through to Notifications (as I would expect it would still do.)

The timers do still work. I am able to hear them go off and they are recorded correctly in notifications.

I was wondering if you could post an update or take a look? I'm extremely forgetful (hence the need for timers!) and often find myself checking to see how long I have or whether or not I remembered to post one to set one to begin with.

Thanks very much!

Yep, I've noticed this too. Will look into it and get back to you. Hopefully it's nothing too difficult to fix. :mellow:

C

Yep, I've noticed this too. Will look into it and get back to you. Hopefully it's nothing too difficult to fix. :mellow:

C

Hey there, I think there might be some kind of permission error with one of the working folders. Can you check the write permissions of "/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data" make sure it and all subfolders are write-enabled?

You might also have to reset the workflow ("timer nuke") to get it going again. That did the trick for me. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

C

• 1 month later...