EggTimer v2 [updated to 2.0 final]

I had the same problem as Erist. I was able to solve it by changing default to notification center, then nuking, then switching just timer to growl (i.e. not default). It works fine after I switched my default to growl as well.

One question: is it possible to get the notification to stay on screen until I click it away? It would be nice to not worry about missing my timer if I step away from my computer for a moment. Thanks!

I had the same problem as Erist. I was able to solve it by changing default to notification center, then nuking, then switching just timer to growl (i.e. not default). It works fine after I switched my default to growl as well.

Yeah, seems to some annoying permissions error brought on by upgrading to Mavericks. I had it myself, but nuking seemed to sort it.

One question: is it possible to get the notification to stay on screen until I click it away? It would be nice to not worry about missing my timer if I step away from my computer for a moment. Thanks!

The Growl notifications are sticky by default, I believe. As for notification centre, I don't have much control over how they behave. I don't believe there's a way to make them sticky, although if anyone knows how, I'm keen to find out. Personally, I have this workflow set to use Growl for this and a few other reasons.

• 2 months later...

HI, thanks for making this egg timer. 

I would like to make an egg timer for several seconds, sometimes I just want to type "timer 45 seconds" but I'm not very familiar with the command in the script, is there a way to modify it? Thank you!

#NEW TIMER?
if [[ ${input[0]} =~ ^[0-9,:]+$ ]]; then
./scripts/input_new_timer.sh "$x"
exit
else
./scripts/input_other_options.sh "$x"
fi

HI, thanks for making this egg timer. 

I would like to make an egg timer for several seconds, sometimes I just want to type "timer 45 seconds" but I'm not very familiar with the command in the script, is there a way to modify it? Thank you!

Hi there. You'd have to modify quite a few things for it to handle seconds, unfortunately. I hadn't bothered to do it, because I thought it would be used as more of a crude measuring tool, but a few people have asked for it now so I may update it at some point. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy at the moment so it probably won't be any time soon. Sorry about that.

• 2 months later...

@CarlosNZ 

Great workflow I use many times a day. 

Is there a way to pop up a notification when the time is up? 

Thank you.

Hey there, politicus.

There should already be a notification that pops up. You can choose between Growl or OS X Notification Center, so make sure the workflow is set to use the correct one for you. If it's not showing up, you may have to look at your Notification Center (or Growl) settings.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Is it possible to make one sticky and the other one non sticky? 

I would like to make the first one non sticky and the second one sticky.

Thank you.

Hi. I don't have a lot of control over this with Notification Centre, but for me it works like you say. The first notification goes away on its own whereas the final one has a "Close" and "Show" button, which requires clicking. Is this not how it is for you?

Cheers,

Carl.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the EggTimer workflow, thanks. It was working for several months for me with no problems, but recently (maybe related to updating the workflow, not sure though) it does not give info about running or recent timers. To start a new timer works but when checking for running/recent timers it displays “No timers or alarms currently running"/“No recent timers“ even though there are timers running. I have reinstalled the workflow but is not able to get it to work as intended again. Any ideas? (I'm on OS X 10.9.5)

I really like the EggTimer workflow, thanks. It was working for several months for me with no problems, but recently (maybe related to updating the workflow, not sure though) it does not give info about running or recent timers. To start a new timer works but when checking for running/recent timers it displays “No timers or alarms currently running"/“No recent timers“ even though there are timers running. I have reinstalled the workflow but is not able to get it to work as intended again. Any ideas? (I'm on OS X 10.9.5)

Thanks a lot. Yes, I've had a similar problem myself, as did others here. It's probably to do with folder permissions. The simplest thing to try is to reset the workflow completely using the "timer nuke" command, which will delete all the working folders. The next time you run it, it will re-create them and execute the 'first run' routines. That should sort out the problem.

Thanks a lot. Yes, I've had a similar problem myself, as did others here. It's probably to do with folder permissions. The simplest thing to try is to reset the workflow completely using the "timer nuke" command, which will delete all the working folders. The next time you run it, it will re-create them and execute the 'first run' routines. That should sort out the problem.

Thanks, this did indeed sort out the problem!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I get this error when I try to check recent/current timers using Mavericks: 

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 0: ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/recent_timers: No such file or directory

ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_timers: No such file or directory

ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_autotimers: No such file or directory

ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_alarms: No such file or directory

My eggwd is: 

/Users/sdaza/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.3C1BF412-79C9-4EC6-98FB-C17710863FA4

How could I fix this?
Thanks!
  • 2 weeks later...

I get this error when I try to check recent/current timers using Mavericks: 

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 0: ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/recent_timers: No such file or directory

ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_timers: No such file or directory

ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_autotimers: No such file or directory

ls: /Users/sdaza/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_alarms: No such file or directory

My eggwd is: 

/Users/sdaza/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.3C1BF412-79C9-4EC6-98FB-C17710863FA4

How could I fix this?
Thanks!

Hi Sebastian. First thing to try would be to reset the workflow back to "factory" settings, using the command "timer nuke". 

Let me know if that works. (It should I think.)

Cheers.

Good question. It's actually not as simple as changing the workflow config as you would naturally assume, because EggTimer "splits off" from Alfred, so the notifications for the timers themselves are baked into EggTimer, not feeding back into Alfred. So I'd have to build my own "Large Type" output to do this, which is not something I'm up to right now. However, I am planning on implementing Growl notifications via Applescript, so EggTimer can be its own "registered app" in Growl. Then you could simply choose one of the Growl notifications that is suitably "Large Type"-ish, which will get you pretty close.

Just wanted an update about this feature. Can you confirm if this feature is not yet developped?

Just to make sure I am not so stupid I can't make the workflow work  :)

Thank you.

Edited by politicus

Just wanted an update about this feature. Can you confirm if this feature is not yet developped?

Just to make sure I am not so stupid I can't make the workflow work  :)

Thnak you.

Hi policus, since version 2.0 the Growl (or Notification Centre) notifications ARE built into the EggTimer process. So you should see "EggTimer" as a registered application in your Growl prefs and be able to choose whatever style you want. Note that the workflow obeys your selection of Notication Center or Growl that you specified in the workflow prefs.

Cheers,

Carl.

@CarlosNZ Thank you very much for your answer. I was blind and now I see  :)

In growl, I can set the actions I want but can't set the display to "Bezel" ( Bezel is a "Large type" like notification) as I only can modify actions.

I just want to display via a large type notification that the timer named "XYZ" is over. Via Growl or Apple built-in notifications it doesn't really matter.

Any idea how I could do it ?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you could always use Alfred's Large Type to do this. You'd just need to add an External trigger to the workflow that links to Large Type. Then, when the timer is done, just call the external trigger with the "argument" that will be the text to display, and it should work.

@Shawn

Thanks for your answer.

I do not really understand how external workflows work. Even after reading the knowledge base.

Then, when the timer is done, just call the external trigger with the "argument" that will be the text to display, and it should work.

How can I do it? 

I succeded in displaying the large type when the workflow started. Not when it is done.

There's a lot of code in this workflow to sift through, so I'll give you a more general than specific answer.

Basically, find in the codebase where the timer finishes. Wherever that is, then add in the AppleScript

tell application "Alfred 2" to run trigger "large_type_trigger" in workflow "carlosnz.eggtimer2" with argument "test"

where "test" is whatever text you want to be displayed, and "large_type_trigger" is the name of the External Trigger.

I think that this entire workflow is in Bash, so that means you'll do something more like:

osascript -e "tell application \"Alfred 2\" to run trigger \"large_type_trigger\" in workflow \"carlosnz.eggtimer2\" with argument \"test\""

Remember that the External Trigger should link only to a Large Type notification and nothing else.