EggTimer v2 [updated to 2.0 final]

Really love this workflow. Thank you for sharing it.

I can't seem to make it so I can set multiple timers running at the same time. When I try to do it, I get this notification popping up : 

OCG3CBa.png

Is there a way to avoid it? 

Thank you for any help.

• 1 month later...

I just posted this in another topic funnily enough, yeah this particular app is hardcoded so you need the Alfred 2 folders: 

EGGPREFS="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2"
EGGWD="$HOME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2"

Which are ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/ and ~/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/. If you have those folders it does work with Alfred 3, as I use it all the time. 

Edited by Greth

First of all, I love this workflow and use it constantly. Recently it started showing weird behaviour; not always showing the notification, never showing current timers, and sometimes it just worked and others it never went off.

I just deleted the workflow and reinstalled from here, with migrated settings (pretty sure i never changed anything) 

And now it works, but doesnt show me the confirmation notification, doesn't show in current timers, and doesn't notify me when it goes, off, just rings. 

I'll include the debug log of me trying "timer 1 TEST"

[2016-11-18 13:43:46][STDERR: input.scriptfilter] ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/recent_timers: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_timers: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_autotimers: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_alarms: No such file or directory
[2016-11-18 13:43:46][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version="1.0"?>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="newtimer" valid="yes">
		<title>New Timer</title>
		<subtitle>Create a new timer with EggTimer</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	  </item>
  	<item uid="newalarm" arg="newalarm" valid="yes">
		<title>New Alarm</title>
		<subtitle>Create a new alarm with EggTimer</subtitle>
		<icon>resources/icon_alarm.png</icon>
	  </item>
 <item uid="timer" arg="" valid="no">
				<title>No timers or alarms currently running</title>
				<subtitle>Enter "timer help" for usage instructions.</subtitle>
				<icon>icon.png</icon>
			  </item>
			</items>
[2016-11-18 13:43:47][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version="1.0"?>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 Reminder" valid="yes">
		<title>New Timer:</title>
		<subtitle>"Reminder" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
[2016-11-18 13:43:48][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version="1.0"?>
	<items>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
[2016-11-18 13:43:49][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version="1.0"?>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 T" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"T" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 TE" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"TE" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 TES" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"TES" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 TEST" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"TEST" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
[2016-11-18 13:43:52][input.scriptfilter] Processing output of 'action.script' with arg 'new 1 TEST'
[2016-11-18 13:43:52][action.script] Processing output of 'output.notification' with arg 'Reminder in 1 minute:
"TEST"'

I did notice the missing directories at the top, but I don't know enough about what they should be to want to dig in there without sound advice? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!

8 minutes ago, Benjamski said:

I did notice the missing directories at the top, but I don't know enough about what they should be to want to dig in there without sound advice? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi @Benjamski I'm no expert of the log output so can't comment, but I had problems, I reinstalled a clean copy from here, which I think is the 'official' location and then followed the instructions to create the two directories, which is the bit you're stuck on?

If that is the bit you're stuck on, then in more explicit language this is what I did:

1. open Finder
  2. from my Home folder (in my case Macintosh HD > Users > Alan), I clicked to open the folder `Library`, it may be hidden, if so then
    1. click to select the folder Macintosh HD > Users > Ben (assuming that's your home folder)
    2. in the Finder menu on the menu bar click Go > Go to Folder and in the drop-down type 'Library' (without the quotes) and enter
  3. you should now find your Finder window is showing the contents of your Library folder, so now you should be able to click to select Application Support > Alfred a > Workflow Data
  4. in the 'Workflow Data' folder create a new folder called precisely
    carlosnz.eggtimer2
    so that's no spaces or uppercase
  5. now use Finder to choose the same Library folder (just below your home folder) and this time click to go into the
    caches
    folder, and in this folder create a new folder called precisely
    com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2
  6. with these two empty folders created, quit/restart Alfred and try the Egg timer again, for me it then worked AOK

Good luck and hope this was helpful and not stating the obvious! ^_^

On 11/18/2016 at 0:45 PM, Benjamski said:

First of all, I love this workflow and use it constantly. Recently it started showing weird behaviour; not always showing the notification, never showing current timers, and sometimes it just worked and others it never went off.

I just deleted the workflow and reinstalled from here, with migrated settings (pretty sure i never changed anything) 

And now it works, but doesnt show me the confirmation notification, doesn't show in current timers, and doesn't notify me when it goes, off, just rings. 

I'll include the debug log of me trying "timer 1 TEST"

[2016-11-18 13:43:46][STDERR: input.scriptfilter] ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/recent_timers: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_timers: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_autotimers: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/Benjamski/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/carlosnz.eggtimer2/running_alarms: No such file or directory
[2016-11-18 13:43:46][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version="1.0"?>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="newtimer" valid="yes">
		<title>New Timer</title>
		<subtitle>Create a new timer with EggTimer</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	  </item>
  	<item uid="newalarm" arg="newalarm" valid="yes">
		<title>New Alarm</title>
		<subtitle>Create a new alarm with EggTimer</subtitle>
		<icon>resources/icon_alarm.png</icon>
	  </item>
 <item uid="timer" arg="" valid="no">
				<title>No timers or alarms currently running</title>
				<subtitle>Enter "timer help" for usage instructions.</subtitle>
				<icon>icon.png</icon>
			  </item>
			</items>
[2016-11-18 13:43:47][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version="1.0"?>
	<items>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
[2016-11-18 13:43:48][input.scriptfilter] <?xml version="1.0"?>
	<items>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 T" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"T" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 TE" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"TE" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 TES" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"TES" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
	<items>
	<item uid="newtimer" arg="new 1 TEST" valid="yes">
		<subtitle>"TEST" in 1 minute</subtitle>
		<icon>icon.png</icon>
	 </item></items>
[2016-11-18 13:43:52][input.scriptfilter] Processing output of 'action.script' with arg 'new 1 TEST'
[2016-11-18 13:43:52][action.script] Processing output of 'output.notification' with arg 'Reminder in 1 minute:
"TEST"'

Hi @Benjamski,

Here https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu8detakhi3hsbo/eggtimer_v2.0_Alfred3_compatible.alfred3workflow?dl=1 is the original workflow with all paths updated to work with Alfred 3. Enjoy.

Edited by rustycamper
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2016 at 2:55 AM, nikivi said:

Updated to Alfred 3 and get this now every time I want to execute the workflow :

LpRWdFG.png

Pressing either of the options doesn't do anything and this pop up comes back again after I try and execute the workflow once more.

On 5/10/2016 at 6:21 AM, CarlosNZ said:

Anyway, you might be able to fix it by manually updating the preferences location. Reveal the workflow in Finder, go into "scripts" and open "first_run_check.sh" and "includes.sh" in a text editor. Change any references to "Alfred 2" to "Alfred 3". Then "nuke" the workflow by running "timer nuke" and see how it goes after that.

Agh, I just downloaded EggTimer, and had the same issue as @nikivi with the "resume your running timers" prompt every time I tried the workflow. Thanks @CarlosNZ, your suggestion to edit `first_run_check` and `includes` worked like a charm!

This workflow is even greater than the most paid Pomodoro apps out there!

One question: Is is possible to run lets say 25min timer directly through a shortcut key without even  alfred to show up?

I tried to make a shortcut key passing the keyword but it shows up the alfred.

Please advice.

Sorry for my bad English

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 3.31.45 PM.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just installed this and no matter what I do - open the documentation, start a new timer, etc. it always opens a window asking me If i want to resume after restart, and does nothing else. the exact text is this:

Would you like EggTimer to resume your running timers when you log back in to your computer after a restart? 

See documentation (“timer help” in Alfred) for more info.

Is anyone else getting this? Am I missing something?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Like most people, I love the EggTimer. In fact, it might be my favorite Alfred Workflow. Thanks @CarlosNZ, @ianhowson, and everybody else on this chain!!

By chance, does anyone know how to specify a different notification style for when the alarm/timer is being set, and when the alarm/timer is actually going off (i.e., indicating that its time is up)?

I'd like to have the EggTimer behave like a banner and automatically dismiss its notifications when I'm just setting an alarm/timer. However, when the alarm/timer is actually going off, I'd like its notification to behave like an alert, requiring me to manually dismiss it. At the moment, both forms of notifications appear to be controlled by the same settings in System Preferences - Notifications - EggTimer (or EggTimer Alarm). 

I'd like to avoid using Growl. Also, I'm new to Alfred and am unfamiliar with MountainNotifier, so please be gentle. Ha

Thanks for any help you can lend!! All the best!

• 4 weeks later...
On 22.6.2017 at 5:37 PM, Jasondm007 said:

I'd like to have the EggTimer behave like a banner and automatically dismiss its notifications when I'm just setting an alarm/timer. However, when the alarm/timer is actually going off, I'd like its notification to behave like an alert, requiring me to manually dismiss it. At the moment, both forms of notifications appear to be controlled by the same settings in System Preferences - Notifications - EggTimer (or EggTimer Alarm).

Actually, EggTimer behaves just like this ony my system! Unfortunately I can’t remeber how I set it up like this. :-(

Maybe it’s because I’ve set the general Alfred notifications (System Preferences - Notifications - Alfred 3) to "Banner", while System Preferences - Notifications - EggTimer is set to "Alert".

Try this, and if doesn’t work, report here again. Then I’m going to try to find out what else I might have done to get this behaviour.

EDIT:

Obviously, that’s it. I just realized that cpmalone posted this trick on Feb 25, 2016 (see page 4 of this thread). And probably, that’s where I got the idea. :-)

Edited by TJung
  • 3 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 11:03 AM, Ben6532 said:

I just installed this and no matter what I do - open the documentation, start a new timer, etc. it always opens a window asking me If i want to resume after restart, and does nothing else. the exact text is this:

Would you like EggTimer to resume your running timers when you log back in to your computer after a restart? 

See documentation (“timer help” in Alfred) for more info.

Is anyone else getting this? Am I missing something?

i have very same issue and I have deleted Egg because of this. 

it really bothers me that i just can't find a working countdown timer. 

keep popping "Would you like EggTimer to resume your running timers when you log back in to your computer after a restart? 

See documentation (“timer help” in Alfred) for more info." 

whenever I click it, it pops out again, and back when I enter  "timers help". no help documents ever came out. 

may someone look into it ?  I have made a gif here : 

http://recordit.co/3l2qv94hha

many thanks ! 

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the version setup by @ianhowson  and am having problems with egg timer.  When I set a timer I receive a notification; however, upon completion of a timer or alarm, no notification shows up.  Has anyone experienced this issue? I've tried the solution by djan92 on page 4 to no avail

Edited by Basket
4 hours ago, Basket said:

I installed the version setup by @ianhowson  and am having problems with egg timer.  When I set a timer I receive a notification; however, upon completion of a timer or alarm, no notification shows up.  Has anyone experienced this issue? I've tried the solution by djan92 on page 4 to no avail

Hey, have you tried the "timer nuke" command? That fixes 95% of these kind of issues -- it does a factory reset to the workflow, forcing it to rebuild all the working folders, etc.

2 hours ago, CarlosNZ said:

Hey, have you tried the "timer nuke" command? That fixes 95% of these kind of issues -- it does a factory reset to the workflow, forcing it to rebuild all the working folders, etc.

Just tried "timer nuke" and I'm unfortunately still having the same problem, I'm on High Sierra so that may be causing some kind of issue? Thanks for the suggestion by the way, I really appreciate it!