"Control Double Tap" not anymore possible as hotkey?

I just updated from Alfred 1.3.3 to Alfred 2.0.5.

In Alfred 1 I had "Control Double Tap" as hotkey, in Alfred 2 this seems not to be possible anymore.

Why is that so? Is there any possibility to get "Control Double Tap" back as hotkey in Alfred 2?

Greetings - desertman

I just updated from Alfred 1.3.3 to Alfred 2.0.5.

In Alfred 1 I had "Control Double Tap" as hotkey, in Alfred 2 this seems not to be possible anymore.

Why is that so? Is there any possibility to get "Control Double Tap" back as hotkey in Alfred 2?

Greetings - desertman

This is possible in v2 - you may have something which is getting in the way of Alfred 2 using it (maybe even Alfred 1)

Cheers,

Andrew

If something is "in the way" I would like to know what that could be. Alfred 1 is not running (and also not set for launching at startup). Only Alfred 2 is running (I even restarted the Mac after quitting Alfred 1 and before starting Alfred 2).

I am able to change the hotkey to something like Option + Y, but not to anything like "double tap Control" or "double tap anything else".

Greetings - desertman

Edited by desertman

If something is "in the way" I would like to know what that could be. Alfred 1 is not running (and also not set for launching at startup). Only Alfred 2 is running (I even restarted the Mac after quitting Alfred 1 and before starting Alfred 2).

I am able to change the hotkey to something like Option + Y, but not to anything like "double tap Control" or "double tap anything else".

Greetings - desertman

It's quite difficult to get to the bottom of hotkey issues like this, as if something is preventing this combo from reaching Alfred, then Alfred doesn't even know the combo is being pressed, so can't tell you what else would be using it.

Some ideas though - do you have any accessibility based software running on your Mac which could be interfering with the modifier keys (such as TextExpander)?

Could you try creating a new user profile on your Mac, switching to that, and trying Alfred from there.

Cheers,

Andrew

No, I don't have Textexpander or similar software running.

In a new user I am still not able to change the hotkey for Alfred 2 to "double tap anything else". However, after quitting Alfred 2 and starting Alfred 1 it is possible there to change the hotkey to "double tap Control".

How can it be that in Alfred 1 changing the hotkey back and forth to whatever I want is possible while in Alfred 2 any "double tap" hotkey can not be configured? Is that not clearly indicating that this is something that must have to do with Alfred 2 or be a conflict between Alfred 1 (although not running) and Alfred 2?

(Please note that this is not about executing a hotkey, it is about configuring a hotkey.)

Greetings - desertman

Edited by desertman

No, I don't have Textexpander or similar software running.

In a new user I am still not able to change the hotkey for Alfred 2 to "double tap anything else". However, after quitting Alfred 2 and starting Alfred 1 it is possible there to change the hotkey to "double tap Control".

How can it be that in Alfred 1 changing the hotkey back and forth to whatever I want is possible while in Alfred 2 any "double tap" hotkey can not be configured? Is that not clearly indicating that this is something that must have to do with Alfred 2 or be a conflict between Alfred 1 (although not running) and Alfred 2?

(Please note that this is not about executing a hotkey, it is about configuring a hotkey.)

Greetings - desertman

As mentioned by Andrew, hotkey issues like this are truly hard to diagnose on someone else's system due to differences in software install and potentially different OS configurations. Are you getting and kind of audible feedback from your Mac when attempting to set that hotkey? An error sound? As Andrew said, Alfred 2 shouldn't have an issue with setting this hotkey as long as it isn't being used or reserved by something else. In testing (just now) I confirmed that all hotkeys are can still easily be set to the double tap with Control, Option, Shift, or Command.

I was finally able to change the hotkey for Alfred 2 to "double tap Control" after booting into Safe Mode. The hotkey is still the same (and working) after rebooting normally. Since the only other application that ever used "double tap Control" on my computer was Alfred 1 I am quite convinced that this was an internal conflict between the Alfreds. I have now added Alfred 2 to my login items and will see how it goes on in the next days.

By the way: Alfred is great. I cannot count how often I use it every day.

Edited by desertman

I was now able to change the hotkey for Alfred 2 to "double tap Control" after booting into Safe Mode. The hotkey is still the same (and working) after rebooting normally. Since the only other application that ever used "double tap Control" on my computer was Alfred 1 I am quite convinced that this was an internal conflict between the Alfreds.

It shouldn't conflict with Alfred 1. When Alfred 2 was released, I fired it up and set it to the exact same hotkey as Alfred 1. 

• 2 weeks later...

It shouldn't conflict with Alfred 1. When Alfred 2 was released, I fired it up and set it to the exact same hotkey as Alfred 1. 

You're right. It should'nt. But it did. And looking at this topic ...

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/2787-altcmdspace-no-longer-usable-as-a-key-binding/

... I get the feeling I'm not the only one who has problems with unusal hotkey combinations after switching from Alfred 1 to Alfred 2.

Edited by desertman

You're right. It should'nt. But it did. And looking at this topic ...

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/2787-altcmdspace-no-longer-usable-as-a-key-binding/

... I get the feeling I'm not the only one who has problems with unusal hotkey combinations after switching from Alfred 1 to Alfred 2.

The link you gave is explainable and not a problem. I've added an explanation reply to that thread if you are interested in why.