TXCiclista

Alfred v1 vs v2?

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade to Alfred V1+Powerpack to v2. So far (and it may just be that my Google-Fu is not strong), I can't find a comprehensive comparison of v1 and v2. Sure, there're a few blog posts scattered about, but I don't see something along the lines of a "if you upgrade to V2, here's what you'll get:" list. Since v1 is working great, I'm loathe to upgrade "blind," but if it's worth my while, I want to upgrade before prices jump. Can someone point me a comparison of Alfred v1 & v2? And maybe another comparison of Powerpac.v1 & Powerpack v2?

Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, the blog posts aren't even that helpful. There's a "we'll give you more later," but I don't really see the "more." The best I can tell, all upgrading gives me is workflows and themes. Is this correct? If so, I may just decide to save the $15 USD.

Edited by TXCiclista

I suggest you take a look at the workflows section, to get a feel of what can be accomplished with them (look for the ones with a lot of details and screenshots). At this point, it’d be difficult to argue against this feature alone being well worth the upgrade.

Yeah, workflows are nice, but not something I'll need (at least not the advanced ones). 99% of my Alfred use is launching programs, finding/opening files, web searches, and the calculator function. Workflows, while cool, are not something I'm overly concerned about.

Edited by TXCiclista

It’s not simple to explain the power of workflows without knowing how you use (and don’t use) Alfred and your computer day to day, and hence in what way they could be helpful to you — it’s one of those features that you get used to and use more and more, as you start to understand everything you can do with them. They’re not without their share of limitations, but are way more powerful than extensions. If you don’t plan on using any, never really cared for custom actions (extensions, and now workflows) anyway, are happy with how your v1 is working, and don’t feel like spending the money, then keep it.

Edited by Vítor

Thanks, that's helpful. I have no doubt workflows are powerful, but Alfred's fills a much simpler niche for me. Unless workflows can actually type papers for me, v2 would have to bring other things to the table for me to upgrade. I've thought about running the free version of v2, but it's not clear that I can do that without losing v1

From what I’ve read on this forum, yes, you can run them concurrently without a problem, if you want to try it out. However, there are additional features that you only get with the paid version, namely file navigation, file actions, some 1password integration, custom searches, and others, that you might miss.

Thanks, that's helpful. I have no doubt workflows are powerful, but Alfred's fills a much simpler niche for me. Unless workflows can actually type papers for me, v2 would have to bring other things to the table for me to upgrade. I've thought about running the free version of v2, but it's not clear that I can do that without losing v1

From what I’ve read on this forum, yes, you can run them concurrently without a problem, if you want to try it out. However, there are additional features that you only get with the paid version, namely file navigation, file actions, some 1password integration, custom searches, and others, that you might miss.

Vitor is correct, you can absolutely run them side by side with no issues. You can set a different hotkey for Alfred 2 and use it when you desire if you want to check out some of the new functionality and such. However, as he mentioned also, you won't have access to Powerpack features that you currently have available in v1. If there are specific things that you would like to know or take a look at, let me know and I would be glad to help you out.

Also, for a few overviews of things added, fixed, etc, you could take a peak at the Alfred blog. Alfred 2 was announced here with a list of a few of the features. You could also peak around at the change log to see a few things added and/or fixed since then, available here