Search System files

Could this be added to the "find" and open "keywords"? It seems like Alfred doesn't find everything in the query whereas spotlight does. For example plist files, bin files and the like.

Have you tried changing the File Search options? Here's a screenshot of the settings I'm talking about:

System_Files_in_File_Search.jpg

If you tell it to include (i.e. uncheck) 'Source files' and 'Plist files', it should give you what you want.

Cheers :)

Have you tried changing the File Search options? Here's a screenshot of the settings I'm talking about:

System_Files_in_File_Search.jpg

If you tell it to include (i.e. uncheck) 'Source files' and 'Plist files', it should give you what you want.

Cheers :)

It does not. I am running DP4 of Mavericks so that might be the issue here. But, even in ML Alfred seems to have trouble showing these file types.

For example, take com.apple.dock.plist i can find it in Spotlight but for some reason it refuses to show in Alfred.

Edited by Racer

My guess is that your search scope isn't wide enough.

Check under Features->Default Results->Search Scope.

However, if you don't want to slow down Alfred when you use it for everything else (how often, after all, do you need to search the whole system?) I recommend you create a workflow just for that.  Use the "File filter from keyword and open" template, set the scope to "/", leave the filetypes blank to include all filetypes, check the box for "Show system files" and voila!  I have done just that and use the keyword "sp" (for "Spotlight") and now it's my Spotlight replacement.  The only thing it doesn't do is search volumes (like flash drives)...not sure how to handle that one.

My guess is that your search scope isn't wide enough.

Check under Features->Default Results->Search Scope.

However, if you don't want to slow down Alfred when you use it for everything else (how often, after all, do you need to search the whole system?) I recommend you create a workflow just for that.  Use the "File filter from keyword and open" template, set the scope to "/", leave the filetypes blank to include all filetypes, check the box for "Show system files" and voila!  I have done just that and use the keyword "sp" (for "Spotlight") and now it's my Spotlight replacement.  The only thing it doesn't do is search volumes (like flash drives)...not sure how to handle that one.

Thanks for tip. i'll give it a shot. Couldn't you just add your flash drive to the search scope?

Edited by Racer