Route to contact or address from current position

Route to contact or location

This workflow calculates the route from the current location to a contact from your address book, or a specified location with Google Maps. The scripts are written in python and use the pre-installed objective-c bridge pyobjc to search the address book and determine the current location with CoreLocation. Because of this, OS X will display messages that ask for the permission to use CoreLocation and AddressBook.

Requirements:

The scripts use the shipped python version and the nice alfred module by nikipore (included). Because of the usage of OS X APIs there are requirements for the OS X version. I developed and tested the workflow on 10.8.4, 10.9.0 and 10.9.1, but perhaps older versions are also working (feedback?).

Usage:

Simply type "route" followed by the first or last name of a contact and choose the right one from the list. You can also just type an address to which you want the route to be calculated.

Download:

You can download the workflow from Packal

Feel free to submit error reports or feature requests  :)

Important!: After implementing new features, the workflow title was sufficient anymore. You can find the new version here in the forum

History

• Fixed index bugs regarding multiple addresses per contact
    • Initial release
Edited by abyth
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey abyth,

very nicely done. This is helping me a lot :)

Is there any way to choose which address is used in case the person has a work and private address?

Thanks so much!

Ciao, Puck

Hi Puck,

there was a small error with indices. Now it should display multiple addresses per person with the corresponding identifier e.g. work or home

Greetings

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed; gave permissions; and nothing happens. Do I have to do something else to make my location accessible?

The scripts ask for permission to access both contacts and location. The permissions are listed in System Settings -> Security -> Privacy.

If the permissions are set correctly, then all requirements are fulfilled. Are you using Mountain Lion? 

One possible issue could be related to zsh -> Change the language setting in the script filter to /bin/bash

• 1 month later...

It should be possible, but i would need an example on what you want to achieve. E.g. whether or not you want to use CoreLocation, AdressBook Data or simple strings. Can you describe a use case or an example?

I'll give you an example; 

route from location1 to location2

route <choose from contact, current location or enter an address manually> <choose from contact, current location or enter an address manually>

Does it make sense or should i illustrate in another way?

By the way - thanks a lot for this. I use it every day and find it very useful if a feature like the above would be implemented

Edited by Arthur
  • 2 months later...

I'll give you an example; 

route from location1 to location2

route <choose from contact, current location or enter an address manually> <choose from contact, current location or enter an address manually>

Does it make sense or should i illustrate in another way?

By the way - thanks a lot for this. I use it every day and find it very useful if a feature like the above would be implemented

Hi Arthur,

i'll see what i can do. Btw. sorry for the late answer