Hotkeys—odd behavior with spaces when retrieving and prefixing selection

Tyler Eich

I ran several tests with this workflow; here are my results:

1. Cursor 'Left' with prefix [space]: [space] is prefixed to selection; on re-editing the hotkey, no [space] is found in 'Prefix' area
  2. Cursor 'Right' with prefix [space]: no [space] is prefixed to selection; raw selection returned; on re-editing hotkey, no [space] is found in 'Prefix' area
  3. Cursor 'Left' with prefix 'a': [space] and 'a' are prefixed to selection
  4. Cursor 'Right' with prefix 'a': 'a' is prefixed to selection; functions normally

It seems that setting the Cursor to 'Left' automatically prefixes a space; this should be optional.

Setting any 'Prefix' to [space] or [spaces] is ignored unless accompanied by other characters. This is probably by design, but no notice of this behavior is given; perhaps a syntax checker (similar to the one used by Alfred's URL textboxes) would be more intuitive?

Alfred 2.0.6 (203) on OS X 10.8.4 (12E55). Replicated: yes

I ran several tests with this workflow; here are my results:

1. Cursor 'Left' with prefix [space]: [space] is prefixed to selection; on re-editing the hotkey, no [space] is found in 'Prefix' area
  2. Cursor 'Right' with prefix [space]: no [space] is prefixed to selection; raw selection returned; on re-editing hotkey, no [space] is found in 'Prefix' area
  3. Cursor 'Left' with prefix 'a': [space] and 'a' are prefixed to selection
  4. Cursor 'Right' with prefix 'a': 'a' is prefixed to selection; functions normally

It seems that setting the Cursor to 'Left' automatically prefixes a space; this should be optional.

Setting any 'Prefix' to [space] or [spaces] is ignored unless accompanied by other characters. This is probably by design, but no notice of this behavior is given; perhaps a syntax checker (similar to the one used by Alfred's URL textboxes) would be more intuitive?

Alfred 2.0.6 (203) on OS X 10.8.4 (12E55). Replicated: yes

This is currently by design as left cursor is intended for prefixing a keyword. I'm going to move this to noted for now and think about it for the future as I don't want to make the prefs too complicated in this area.

Cheers,

Andrew